12 Days of Christmas START on Christmas Day
Posted December 25, 2013on:
During those twelve days is Holy Innocents Day (or the Slaughter of the Innocents), Dec. 28, quite a contrast to the preposterous twelve gifts that have been stretched into religious symbols and that are used to promote consumerism now.
Check out these thought-provoking resources.
Epiphany | Epiphany Celebration | An Epiphany Celebration | Epiphany Gifts | Most series of reflections, activities and services in WHOSE Birthday? #1-17 include the Sundays after Christmas and conclude with Epiphany.
Listen to all six WHOSE Birthday? episodes of the SLW! podcast during the 12 Days of Christmas, from Christmas Day to Epiphany Day — privately or with your family.
Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?
This Advent/Christmas/Epiphany Resource for Families, Individuals and Churches is for your personal inspiration, community education and sharing.
The online-only edition for 2014 has begun. You can submit ART or an ARTICLE. Prepare something while your memories are warm and your motivation high.
Want to Contribute? Submission Guidelines
Although this resource is not available in print, you may make all the copies you choose. It is covered by Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license. Photocopies of past issues are available at nominal cost form the ELCA Archives.
- Guidelines for Alternative Giving | VIDEO: Celebration Revolution of Alexander Scrooge | Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
- Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? (#1-25) | AUDIO versions, #16-20.
- Reaching Out to Others: A Christmas Packet for Parishes
- Christmas Alternatives Giving Card
- Many More Alternative Christmas Articles – Investigate a few that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE.
- Treasury of Celebrations*: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth – Jan.-April
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Celebrations
- Carols with Justice sing-along
- Christmas Anthologies to read alone or aloud | Spirit of Simplicity: Quotes & Art: Celebrating Advent/Christmas | Worship Alternatives: Advent/Christmas | Seasonal/Thematic Index: Advent/Christmas/Epiphany
- EARLY WINTER FESTIVALS – New Year’s Day |Emancipation Day (Jan. 1) | Epiphany (Jan. 6)
Access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). LISTEN through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent). SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service.
Access individual episodes: #1-3: Getting Acquainted | #4-5: Beyond a Consumer Lifestyle | #6-11: Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? | COMING #12: Living More with Less UPDATED
Do your friends a favor. Share this blog and podcast.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
NEW – Follow us on Pinterest.
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog four times a week.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.