SLW! eNews #28 – No $$ Appeal | NEW Design | Living More with Less UPDATED
Posted January 3, 2014on:
One of my personal resolutions for 2014 and part of the 40th Anniversary of Alternatives is to find a friendly, more readable design for this monthly eNewsletter. Here’s our first attempt. Your comments are welcome. Click any link below to READ MORE.
Yes, this edition is a bit later than usual so it wouldn’t get mixed in with all the year-end appeals for money. We’re pleased that we don’t have to ask. Under the SLW! “business plan,” we solicit and accept no cash, nor do we sell anything. All our services and resources are free. SLW! is an all-volunteer organization. Our budget is minimal because we work from home and use mostly free social media to spread the message. We’ll reveal the details of how we blog, podcast, etc. in a supplement to Simple Living 101 scheduled for next month.
- Living More with Less UPDATED – Jan. 1 Podcast – Interview with the editor of the 30th Anniversary Edition of this seminal book for modern faith-based voluntary simplicity.
- New Year, New Daily Inspiration: free Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – Jan. 1 Blog
- 40th Anniversary: Non-Sentimental Journey We celebrated Alternatives’ 40 years of service in modest, curious ways, such as 2003: A Dome Odyssey.
- Let’s Get Ready for a Simple, Meaningful Lent & Easter – Jan. 15 Podcast
- Social Media Supplement to Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists Shy or Bold – Feb. 1 Podcast
- Listen to all six WHOSE Birthday? episodes of the SLW! podcast during the 12 Days of Christmas, from Christmas Day to Epiphany Day (Jan. 6) – privately or with your family.
- 12 Days of Christmas START on Christmas Day to Epiphany
- Displacing Santa from the Top: a childhood recollection
- Advent Abundance! Only 12 more Adventing Days Till Christmas
- Advent/Christmas/Epiphany Reflections by well-known writers for Alternatives: Walter Brueggemann | Joan Chittister | Bill McKibben | Tom Sine | Ron Sider | Megan McKenna | George Johnson | Michael Crosby
- WHOSE Birthday? 2013 online edition
- Explaining Santa to My Granddaughter
What Others Are Doing
- Green Sector of Markets—Are They a Tipping Point in 2014? Resolution: I resolve to purchase in the green sectors of the economy in 2014 whenever I can. Jubilee-Economics.org
- Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us by Lee Van Ham of Jubilee Economics – TheCommonGoodPodcast.com
- Mark Rasmussen on Aldo Leopold’s Legacy: How Leopold’s Land Ethic challenges industrial ag’s overuse of water and soil – TheCommonGoodPodcast.com
Check out these thought-provoking, timely resources.
Epiphany | Epiphany Celebration | An Epiphany Celebration | Epiphany Gifts | Most series of reflections, activities and services in WHOSE Birthday? #1-17 include the Sundays after Christmas and conclude with Epiphany.
Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?
This Advent/Christmas/Epiphany resource for families, individuals and churches is for your personal inspiration, community education and sharing. The online-only edition for 2014 has begun. Submit ART or an ARTICLE. Prepare something while your memories are warm and your motivation high.
Want to Contribute? Submission Guidelines
Although this resource is no longer available in print, you may make all the copies you choose. It is covered by Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license. Photocopies of past issues are available at nominal cost from the ELCA Archives.
- Investigate a few that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE.
- Treasury of Celebrations*: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth – Jan.-April, including Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (Jan. 15) and St. Valentine’s Day (Feb. 14)
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Celebrations
- Alternatives’ Seasonal/Thematic Index
Access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). LISTEN through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent). SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service.
Access individual episodes: #1-3: Getting Acquainted | #4-5: Beyond a Consumer Lifestyle | #6-11: Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? | NEW – #12: Living More with Less UPDATED
Do your friends a favor. Share this blog and podcast.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog four times a week.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.