Why Celebrate Chinese New Year, Jan. 31?
Posted January 22, 2014on:
Here are some good reasons. . .
What’s Now with SLW!
- Let’s Get Ready for a Simpler Lent & Easter – Jan. 15 Podcast
- Thought for the Day from free Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar.
- Jan. 21-Cooperative, non-competitive games nurture relationships. Try The Christmas Game I, The Christmas Game II, The Anytime Game, Lifestories: a fun board game of telling tales; Futurestories; and Conversation Pieces: Parents, Kids and Other Animals. See September 19 for more titles.
- Jan. 22-A weekly family meeting at a set time helps to coordinate schedules and gives children respect, inclusiveness and empowerment. It can also diffuse arguments. At a time of tension, one can say, “Let’s take this up at the family meeting.” Take turns taking minutes. Follow with family fun-time.
- Social Media Supplement to Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists Shy or Bold – Feb. 1 SLW! Podcast
- Richard Foster’s Guidelines for Simplicity Yes, he’s the author of Celebration of Discipline and Freedom of Simplicity. Foster’s guidelines complement the Five Life Standards of Living More with Less.
What Others Are Doing
- Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us is available in paperback at your local independent bookstore and online as an eBook. I urge you to do at least one of the following about the book:
- Book Giveaway for Blinded by Progress – Enter to win one of 10 free copies from Jan 20-Feb 21, 2014.
- TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 (33:32)
- Inside Personal Growth with Greg Voisen (34:08)
- Follow the progress of the book at TheOneEarthProject.com.
- Then recommend the book to others easily at GoodReads.com. Establish a free account easily, as I did recently, and give Lee five stars, maybe even a comment of encouragement.
- Check out a few of these thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE.
- Treasury of Celebrations*: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth – Jan.-April, including St. Valentine’s Day (Feb. 14)
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Celebrations
- Alternatives’ Seasonal/Thematic Index
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent). SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service.
Access individual episodes: #1-3: Getting Acquainted | #4-5: Beyond a Consumer Lifestyle | #6-11: Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? | #12: Living More with Less UPDATED | #13 – Let’s Get Ready for a Simpler Lent & Easter
Do your friends a favor. Share this blog and podcast.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
GRAPHIC: Spirit of Simplicity: ART #3-A0861
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.