Faith and Money Radio – Making the Connection
Posted January 28, 2014on:
NOT Jesus CEO!
I wrote a chapter on the Prosperity Gospel for a college text book and named names of the “evangelists” of this devious perversion of Jesus’ words.
Entirely on the other hand, Faith and Money Network*, a colleague of SLW! for over 30 years, now has a new, intriguing limited-time (three month) weekly 60-minute internet radio program on VoiceAmerica.com. I subscribed to the podcast in iTunes. The Show Notes are on the FMN site at FaithAndMoneyNetwork.org. Host Mike Little has outstanding guests lined up! You can listen live Mondays at noon (EST) or hear any of the past shows at. . .
Hear such guests as Rev. Roy Howard and theologian Ched Myers, Trip of Perspective leaders Djaloki Dessables and Kim Montroll, philanthropists Judy and David Osgood, and more, probing a range of topics that can help you make the connection between your faith and your money.
January 20: Escaping the Work-More/Spend-More Cycle, with Rev. Matthew Colwell, Tim Darst and Angela Lincoln
Pastor Matthew Colwell will show us why and how to slow our lives down a bit and remember who we are and whose we are. Then Angela Lincoln and Tim Darst will share their story of choosing to consume less than is typical in the U.S., opening a full and faithful life for themselves and their daughters. Through their story, we can begin to see the advantages of being thoughtful consumers, knowing that how we live affects other people and the planet, and how conscious consumption choices can free us to enlarge our mission and impact in the world.
January 13: Faith and Money: The Biblical Vision, with theologian Ched Myers
We may try to separate money and faith in our lives, but the Bible will have none of that. Money themes are woven throughout the Bible. In both the Old and New Testaments, we have lessons and stories, parables and prophecies about living together in God’s economy of enough for all. Let’s begin to recover what God has provided in the Scriptures. Activist, theologian and popular educator Ched Myers will share his thoughtful and challenging insights into the Bible’s instructions around money. And we will hear examples of people who are, today, taking these biblical instructions to heart in their daily lives.
Ched Myers is an activist, theologian and popular educator who animates scripture and issues of faith-based peace and justice. Ched writes prolifically, leads retreats and seminars, preaches and teaches and facilitates gatherings, partnering with a variety of theological and social justice organizations over the past 40 years.
January 6: Faith and Money: making the connection with special guests, Betsy Edmonds and Frank Butler
For more information please contact Mike Little at 202.469.8512 or email@example.com
What’s Now with SLW!
- Let’s Get Ready for a Simple, More Meaningful Lent & Easter – Jan. 15 SLW! Podcast. Let’s Get Ready for a Simpler, More Meaningful Lent and Easter – Click this Index to follow along as you listen.
To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom of the complete Show Notes. Individual Episode Index (or see the list at the bottom of these notes)
COMING next episode: Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold) + BONUS Social Media Supplement – Jerry’s Adventures in Social Media
- Free Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – Jan. 29: “Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?”-from Matthew 6:24-33. How do my clothes reflect my personality and my values? Did the people who made my clothes get a fair wage for their work? Go to your clothes closet. Choose enough clothes to wear a different outfit each day for a week. Put the other clothes aside. Wear only the clothes you’ve chosen for the next two weeks. (from Trek)
What Others Are Doing
- Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us by SLW! colleague Lee Van Ham is available in paperback at your local independent bookstore and online as an eBook. I urge you to do at least one of the following about the book:
- Book Giveaway for Blinded by Progress – Enter to win one of 10 free copies from Jan 20-Feb 21, 2014.
- Lee’s interview with Ysmay Walsh on Joycott.com.
- TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 (33:32)
- Inside Personal Growth with Greg Voisen (34:08)
- Follow the progress of the book at TheOneEarthProject.com.
- Then recommend the book to others easily at GoodReads.com. Establish a free account easily, as I did recently, and give Lee five stars, maybe even a comment of encouragement.
- Mark Rasmussen on Aldo Leopold’s Legacy: How Leopold’s Land Ethic challenges industrial ag’s overuse of water and soil – TheCommonGoodPodcast.com
- Check out a few of these thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE.
- Treasury of Celebrations*: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth – Jan.-April, including St. Valentine’s Day (Feb. 14)
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Celebrations
- Alternatives’ Seasonal/Thematic Index
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent). SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service.
Access individual episodes: #1-3: Getting Acquainted | #4-5: Beyond a Consumer Lifestyle | #6-11: Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? | #12: Living More with Less UPDATED | #13 – Let’s Get Ready for a Simpler Lent & Easter
Do your friends a favor. Share this blog and podcast.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.