- International Women’s Day (March 8) – Celebrated throughout the world, the day commemorates a march of women garment and textile workers in New York City in 1857. | “What time of night it is” | Celebrate women! | Host a Women’s Day dinner | “Take Back the Night” march | Ecumenical Decade of Churches in Solidarity with Women | Celebrating the unnamed ones | Litany of Solidarity with Women | Knowledge is the first step to change | Tabletalk for International Women’s Day
Who are the special women in your life, past and present, who you hold in your heart with the highest esteem? And when they have faced hurtful, unjust experiences, which issues have most compelled you…
- One Billion Rising in 200 Countries To End Violence Against Women | What three words first come to mind when you think of Valentine’s Day? You’d have plenty of company if you said “hearts, flowers, and chocolate.” Heart-shaped cards and special gifts are …
What’s NOW with SLW!
- An Alternative Ash Wed. & Lent: Another Kind of Fasting READ MORE
- Recommended: The Social Media Gospel: Sharing the Good News in New Ways by Meredith Gould. READ MORE
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – March 3-When we hear the term “politically correct” or “PC,” someone may be denigrating inclusive language.
- Podcasts: Vicki Robin, co-author of Your Money or Your Life; Preparing for Pentecost/Ordinary Time
- Blogs: Alternative Celebrations – Purim, 3/15-16; St. Patrick’s Day, 3/17; First Day of Spring, 3/20; National FarmWorker Awareness Week, 3/24-31
- Perceived Value: Strategies for Overcoming the Tyranny of Appearances — recent SLW! blog
- Author Cecile Andrews, Champion of Simplicity Circles and Community Conversation. Her latest: Living Room Revolution. READ MORE
What Others Are Doing
- Soren Rundquist (Environmental Working Group): How Biofuels Are Devastating Farmlands! TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 45.
- Lenten resources from Mustard Seed Associates/GodSpace: Music | Kids | Adults
- Overflow Project 50-Day Challenge: Simplify+Give+Change=Water
- Interviews, Exhibits, Free Download Day, and Book Groups—Spreading the Conversation about the OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham. | TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42
- Faith and Money Radio – Making the Connection
Check out a few of these thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE.
- Treasury of Celebrations*: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth Earth – Jan.-April | LENT | EASTER
- Worship Alternatives: Lent/HolyWeek/Easter
- Spirit of Simplicity: Lent/Easter ART | QUOTES
- Lent sermon series
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Easter | Celebrations | SPANISH: 10 puntas
- Alternatives’ Seasonal/Thematic Index | LENT
- For Lent/Easter SEASONAL HELPS, including links to AV and Text resources, see SLW! Podcast episode 13.
- Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold)
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Episode Index: #1-3: Getting Acquainted | #4-5: Beyond a Consumer Lifestyle | #6-11: Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? | #12: Living More with Less UPDATED | #13: Let’s Get Ready for a Simpler Lent & Easter | #14: Simple Living 101 + Social Media BONUS | #15: author Cecile Andrews, Champion of Simplicity Circles and Community Conversation | #16: Alternative Rites of Passage, including Wedding Alternatives
Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback AT SimpleLivingWorks DOT org [or SimpleLivingWorks AT yahoo DOT com or SimpleLivingWorks2 AT gmail DOT com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
GRAPHIC: Woven Path from Lutheran Peace Fellowship
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.