Purim, St. Pat’s & Spring
Posted March 11, 2014on:
Purim is a light and fun-filled festival about Jewish survival. Celebrants read the story of Esther from the Bible, exchange gifts, and sometimes dress up in appropriate costumes.
Purim is regarded as a minor festival because the directive for observance is in the book of Esther, not the Torah. It is the only Jewish holiday that deals specifically with anti-Semitism.
- Purim (March 15-16)
- St. Patrick’s Day (March 17)
- First Day of Spring (March 20)
What’s NOW with SLW!
- Alternative Rites of Passage, including Wedding Alternatives – March 1 Podcast – New bride calls Wedding Alternatives “essential tool”
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – March 11-Your congregation probably has a Social Ministry Committee. Find out what the members do. Typical projects are direct help, such as serving at the local Soup Kitchen, or education, such as a Social Concerns Fair. Resolve to participate in one project this year.
Another Kind of Lenten Fasting
Our most important family alternative celebration occurs during Lent. We used the following idea one year and, at our children’s request, have repeated it. READ MORE
Check out a few of these thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE.
- Treasury of Celebrations*: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth Earth – Jan.-April | LENT | EASTER
- Worship Alternatives: Lent/HolyWeek/Easter
- Spirit of Simplicity: Lent/Easter ART | QUOTES
- Lent sermon series
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Easter | Celebrations | SPANISH: 10 puntas
- Alternatives’ Seasonal/Thematic Index | LENT
- For Lent/Easter SEASONAL HELPS, including links to AV and Text resources, see SLW! Podcast episode 13.
- Vicki Robin, co-author of the best-seller Your Money or Your Life – March 15 Podcast – Preview NOW
- Author Cecile Andrews, Champion of Simplicity Circles and Community Conversation. Her latest: Living Room Revolution. READ MORE
- Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold) + Jerry’s Excellent Adventure – Feb. SLW! Podcast | Sharing the Joy of a Simpler Lifestyle Through Speeches, Workshops, Events, Study/Action Groups, Simplicity Circles and Social Media
What Others Are Doing
- Lenten resources from Mustard Seed Associates/GodSpace: Music | Kids | Adults
- Overflow Project 50-Day Challenge: Simplify+Give+Change=Water
- Interviews, Book Groups, etc. — Spreading the Conversation about the OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham. | TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42
- Faith and Money Radio – Making the Connection
- Soren Rundquist of the Environmental Working Group: How Biofuels Are Devastating Farmlands! TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 45.
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Episode Index: #1-3: Getting Acquainted | #4-5: Beyond a Consumer Lifestyle | #6-11: Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? | #12: Living More with Less UPDATED | #13: Let’s Get Ready for a Simpler Lent & Easter | #14: Simple Living 101 + Social Media BONUS | #15: author Cecile Andrews, Champion of Simplicity Circles and Community Conversation | #16: Rites of Passage, including Wedding Alternatives | #17: Vicki Robin, co-author of the best-seller Your Money or Your Life
Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback AT SimpleLivingWorks DOT org [or SimpleLivingWorks AT yahoo DOT com or SimpleLivingWorks2 AT gmail DOT com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.