Latest Additions to “SLW! Recommends” Literacy Service
Posted March 19, 2014on:
I’ve recently reconnected with author, speaker and coach Susan Vogt, who provides “workshops and resources to help couples and families foster their deepest beliefs.” Her site FAMLY MATTERS and blog LIVING LIGHTLY have a strong faith-based simple living emphasis. I first met her through the Institute for Peace and Justice and its family peace component. I’ve added her books to the new SLW! Recommends Literacy Service.
BLESSED BY LESS: Clearing Your Life of Clutter by Living Lightly (2013)
What a year of giving stuff away taught me about life, relationships, and what’s really important. Packed with practical tips and spiritual wisdom.
Consume Less – Save More Money
Hang on to Less – Become More Generous
Letting go of Burdens & Intangibles
Waste Less – Save More Energy
Hurry & Worry Less – Laugh More
Let go of Cheap Faith and the “Smug Factor”
MONEY IN THE KINGDOM OF GOD: Six Essential Attitudes for followers of Christ (2011)
A 6 session Bible study about attitudes toward, and the use of money and possessions. Includes:
Providence Justice Generosity Contentment Gratitude
Investing in the Kingdom of God
PARENTING YOUR ADULT CHILD: Keeping the Faith (And Your Sanity) (2011)
Addresses thorny issues such as:
When to rescue and when to not.
When to push and when to restrain yourself.
Keeping your faith as your child seems to abandon it
How to forgive yourself for parenting mistakes.
How to move into an adult-adult relationship.
Click here to listen to a podcast interview on Radio Maria.
RAISING KIDS WHO WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE – Helping Your Family Live with Integrity, Value Simplicity, and Care for Others (2002)
Insights and tips for raising children to make a positive impact in our world. A unique aspect of this book are the contributions not only of parents but also the reflections of young adults on what influenced them to make decisions to serve others.
KIDS CREATING CIRCLES OF PEACE
(with Anne Marie Witchger Hansen / Parenting for Peace and Justice, 2000, $5)
A book of story starters and activities for all kids who want to make peace. Contains cartoons, family activities, books, videos, and thoughtful questions. Geared to grades K-6, students will enjoy making up their own better endings to potentially violent or bullying situations.
JUST FAMILY NIGHTS- 60 Activities to Keep Your Family Together in a World Falling Apart (editor, 1994)
Just Family Nights provides 60 activities for families to do together – activities that build family unity and foster healthy values. Each Family Night offers reading, activities, songs, and ideas for treats that are built on themes such as ecology, nonviolence, homelessness, conflict resolution, and awareness of other races and cultures.
CELEBRATING & BECOMING A HOLY FAMILY
DVD of Susan and Jim Vogt’s presentations
2+ hours of workshop presentations on:
The Family Pledge of Nonviolence Taming Time Morality
Home based sacred symbols Ecology Media: Use & Abuse Peacemaking Who Am I (Affirmation) Consumerism Service Diversity Faith & Values | These talks were originally presented at Holy Name of Jesus Parish in eastern Florida. To order, e-mail: SusanVogt1@gmail.com
What’s NOW with SLW!
- Vicki Robin, co-author of the best-seller Your Money or Your Life – March 15 Podcast
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – March 18-The pursuit of Peace: 12 steps of peacemaking can make your faith more than just talk. 1. Pray for peace and for one another. 2. See faces. 3. Learn names and stories. 4. Take the first step to love. 5. Reach out and touch. 6. Find common ground. 7. Make relationships concrete. 8. Give peace offerings. 9. Learn languages. 10. Eat together. 11. Celebrate together. 12. Stand with those in danger. -Ann Helmke
- Check out a few of these thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE.
- Treasury of Celebrations*: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth Earth – Jan.-April | LENT | EASTER
- Worship Alternatives: Lent/HolyWeek/Easter
- Spirit of Simplicity: Lent/Easter ART | QUOTES
- Lent sermon series
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Easter | Celebrations | SPANISH: 10 puntas
- Alternatives’ Seasonal/Thematic Index | LENT
- For Lent/Easter SEASONAL HELPS, including links to AV and Text resources, see SLW! Podcast episode 13.
- Not Ordinary Times – Eco-Justice Ministries – April 1 Podcast – Preview Episode 18 NOW
- Mid-March Celebrations | Purim (March 15-16) | St. Patrick’s Day (March 17) | First Day of Spring (March 20)
- Alternative Rites of Passage, including Wedding Alternatives – March 1 Podcast – New bride calls Wedding Alternatives “essential tool”
- Author Cecile Andrews, Champion of Simplicity Circles and Community Conversation. Her latest: Living Room Revolution. READ MORE
- Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists (shy or bold) + Jerry’s Excellent Adventure – Feb. SLW! Podcast | Sharing the Joy of a Simpler Lifestyle Through Speeches, Workshops, Events, Study/Action Groups, Simplicity Circles and Social Media
What Others Are Doing
- Lenten resources from Mustard Seed Associates/GodSpace: Music | Kids | Adults
- Overflow Project 50-Day Challenge: Simplify+Give+Change=Water
- Interviews, Book Groups, etc. — Spreading the Conversation about the OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham. | TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42
- Faith and Money Radio – Making the Connection
- Soren Rundquist of the Environmental Working Group: How Biofuels Are Devastating Farmlands! TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 45.
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Episode Index: #1-3: Getting Acquainted | #4-5: Beyond a Consumer Lifestyle | #6-11: Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? | #12: Living More with Less UPDATED | #13: Let’s Get Ready for a Simpler Lent & Easter | #14: Simple Living 101 + Social Media BONUS | #15: author Cecile Andrews, Champion of Simplicity Circles and Community Conversation | #16: Rites of Passage, including Wedding Alternatives | #17: Vicki Robin, co-author of the best-seller Your Money or Your Life
Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback AT SimpleLivingWorks DOT org [or SimpleLivingWorks AT yahoo DOT com or SimpleLivingWorks2 AT gmail DOT com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.