Four strong elements converge this week. First, in the current SLW! Podcast, I interview Peter Sawtell of of Eco-Justice Ministries discussing a new initiative –Not Ordinary Times. This challenging call to “be the church” in this time of environmental crisis is backed up with a comprehensive set of resources and background materials that will guide churches through a six-month season of worship and preaching that takes seriously the devastation of the global environment.
In the second half of the current SLW! podcast, I overview the resources from Worship Alternatives for Pentecost and Ordinary Time (the non-festival half of the church year that runs from Pentecost to Advent. Yes, I know that Pentecost isn’t until early June. Some of us like to plan ahead. By the way, Worship Alternatives has little to do with the rites and practices of the pentecostal denominations.)
The third element is a new addition to our Featured Writers page, Pastoral Economic Struggles: Facing Together Global Capitalism’s Domination in Daily Life by Lee Van Ham. This faith-based essay focuses on changes that can be thanks to the Holy Spirit. It is an inspiring piece for any believer, though written primarily for pastoral leaders. Pentecost is a time to think about and work toward change. The Holy Spirit is a force for change, an agent for transformation.
The fourth element is my conversation with Brian Czech of the secular Center for the Advancement of the Steady-State Economy (CASSE). He explains not only why our growth-oriented capitalist economic system is destroying the Earth but also how a steady-state economy could bring our relation with the Earth back in balance. Creating a Strong Economy That Does Not Grow. TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 46.
All four of these elements fit together in to help us maintain a right relationship with God’s Creation. You may want to read my earlier blog Ready for Pentecost?
* * *
Welcome Word of Encouragement
AWESOME…..AWESOME. …..really like the new ‘social media’ approach to your powerful message. Fruitful Blessings!!
Marilyn Lines, Office of Family Ministry Coordinator, Christ the Redeemer, Lake Orion, Michigan * * *
What’s NOW with SLW!
- Since we’re in the thicket of Lent, you may have something to contribute to our on-going collection Who’s Risen from the Dead, Anyway? for Lent/HolyWeek/Easter and to our most widely-read annual resource, Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? for Advent/Christmas/Epiphany. Though it’s no longer printed on paper, “WHOSE Birthday?” is published online since 2012. Some editions also come in AUDIO formats. ART | PERSONAL EXPERIENCES | FAMILY ACTIVITIES | Submission Guidelines | All past editions are available on the SLW! site. Thanks to Creative Commons licensing, individuals and congregations can reprint articles without further permission. The articles are carefully indexed — ADVENT/CHRISTMAS | LENT/EASTER.
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – April
- Check out a few of these thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE.
- Treasury of Celebrations*: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth Earth – Jan.-April | LENT | EASTER
- Worship Alternatives: Lent/HolyWeek/Easter | Pentecost/Ordinary Time
- Spirit of Simplicity: Lent/Easter ART | QUOTES
- Lent sermon series
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Easter | Celebrations | SPANISH: 10 puntas
- Alternatives’ Seasonal/Thematic Index | Lent/Easter
- For Lent/Easter SEASONAL HELPS, including links to AV and Text resources, see SLW! Podcast episode 13.
- In stark contrast to the misuse of farmland to produce biofuels presented in a recent episode of TheCommonGoodPodcast, Vicki Robin presents a vision of locally produced food and strong community in Blessing the Hands That Feed Us: What Eating Closer to Home Can Teach Us About Food, Community, and Our Place on Earth. Hear my interview with Vicki on the recent Simple Living Works! Podcast.With Joe Dominguez, Vicki Robin wrote one of the most enduring, influential books to have come from the sustainable living movement, Your Money or Your Life.
- Popular Social Media – Some recent insights on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and YouTube from “Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists.”
- Author, speaker and coach Susan Vogt‘s site FAMLY MATTERS and blog LIVING LIGHTLY have a strong faith-based simple living emphasis. I’ve added her books to the new SLW! Recommends Literacy Service.
- Alternative Rites of Passage, including Wedding Alternatives – March Podcast – New bride calls Wedding Alternatives “essential tool”
- Author Cecile Andrews, Champion of Simplicity Circles and Community Conversation. Her latest: Living Room Revolution. READ MORE
What Others Are Doing
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Episode Index: #1-3: Getting Acquainted | #4-5: Beyond a Consumer Lifestyle | #6-11: Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? | #12: Living More with Less UPDATED | #13: Let’s Get Ready for a Simpler Lent & Easter | #14: Simple Living 101 + Social Media BONUS | #15: author Cecile Andrews, Champion of Simplicity Circles and Community Conversation | #16: Rites of Passage, including Wedding Alternatives | #17: Vicki Robin, co-author of the best-seller Your Money or Your Life | #18: Not Ordinary Time: Eco-Justice Ministries | #19: Simply Delicious: Quantity Cooking for Churches | Hunger | Alternative Summer Festivals | #20-27: Tony and Shane Uncut
Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast. Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest.
Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback AT SimpleLivingWorks DOT org [or SimpleLivingWorks AT yahoo DOT com or SimpleLivingWorks2 AT gmail DOT com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
GRAPHIC: Worship Alternatives ART #3252
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.