Submit Now to “WHOSE Birthday?” 2014
Posted September 18, 2014on:
You’re welcome to contribute to our most widely-read resource, “Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?” for Advent/Christmas. Though it’s no longer printed on paper, it is published online since 2012.
All 25+ editions are still available on the SLW! site. The articles are carefully indexed.
The current edition will be updated as new material arrives, so send ideas and items anytime. Prepare something now while it’s really on your mind. An item may be new or not, original or not. (If it’s by someone else, include a complete description of the source.) We prefer items of 250 words or fewer (one page double-spaced). We reserve the right to edit.
- ART (line drawing, photo) that depicts the tension between faith and culture, especially at Christmas.
- PERSONAL EXPERIENCES (especially intergenerational ones) related to simplifying Christmas or finding meaning and happiness in relationships instead of stuff.
- FAMILY ACTIVITIES, rituals or worshipful ceremonies for Advent, Christmas or Epiphany.
We reach many through our website, blogs, podcast and other media. Sorry, we cannot pay for any submissions. All of our original resources are free of charge.
Please send your submissions by email to SimpleLivingWorks AT yahoo.com. If you need to send something by US mail, email us and we’ll send you a mailing address.
* * *
Coming: new “WHOSE Birthday?” Podcast series.
Podcast Index, including “WHOSE Birthday?” 2013.
* * *
Subscribe to SLW! Blog
Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
* * *
What’s NOW with SLW!
- Sept. 15 SLW! podcast — Brian “Wolt” Wolters and the Overflow Project | 50-Day Challenge | my blog SIMPLIFY + GIVE + CHANGE = WATER
- Feeling Bullied by Consumo? Ask Slim. A recent question prompts me to start the hopefully interactive blog “Ask Slim.” I’ll give my reply to questions that are broadly about simpler living and invite you to add your responses.
- Simple Living MUSIC. Earth Mama’s music is fun and enjoyed by all ages, while teaching important messages about sustainable living, recycling, and eco-activism. Perfect for teachers and Cultural Creatives, Earth Mama music spreads the word about sacred ecology and simple living. John Pitney’s complete “Live Simply So Others May Simply Live” (closing podcast theme) | website. MUSIC Collections: Sing Justice! Do Justice! | Carols with Justice | more
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – September
- Check out a few of these thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE.
- Treasury of Celebrations*: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth Earth – Sept.-Dec.
- Worship Alternatives: Pentecost/Ordinary Time
- Spirit of Simplicity: ART | QUOTES
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Celebrations | Spanish: 10 puntas
- Alternatives’ Seasonal/Thematic Index
- Oct. 1 SLW! podcast — Paul Canavese, head of GospelLiving.org. Paul and spouse Ann contributed to the Wedding Alternatives Supplement. They hosted Rita and I on a speaking tour. Read the notes of that visit at Post #58.
- Oct. 15 podcast — Bob Sitze, author, blogger
- I interviewed Tom and Christine Sine at Mustard Seed House for SLW! podcast #28. Tom’s author of the best-seller Mustard Seed Conspiracy.
- New “Simply Advent” eResources. It’s so encouraging when someone uses or re-issues some of Alternatives’ resources. Paul Canavese of The Pastoral Center has incorporated some of Alternatives’ Advent/Christmas resources in its new Simply Advent eResource series. (Or see all of their Advent eResources.)
- Tony and Shane Uncut Finale — Tony Campolo & Shane Claiborne’s complete dialog on simpler living and global justice, in eight parts. To LISTEN visit the Episode Index. Endorsements
- Simple Living Humor? What’s That?
- Alternative Pentecost & Ordinary Time
What Others Are Doing
- How to Host an Alternative Gift Fair | Planning an Alternative Christmas Workshop | How to Organize an Alternative Christmas Community Festival
- The Common Good Podcast episodes 50-51 – Permaculture
- Seeing Systems: Peace, Justice and Sustainability – New Course from Northwest Earth Institute
- Interviews, Book Groups, etc. – Spreading the Conversation about The OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham. | TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 | Lee’s new Slide Show
- Summer of Peace: Transforming Conflict in Your Heart, Your Relationships and the World, a free online event, June 13-September 21 | Spring of Sustainability: Turning Crises into Creative Solutions [Since the spring series is over, you can only access it by subscribing. Or hear two free samples.] — both series from The Shift Network and Sustainable World Coalition
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3).
Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback AT SimpleLivingWorks DOT org [or SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com or SimpleLivingWorks2@gmail.com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.