SLW! eNews #37–Fall Festival Helps
Posted October 1, 2014on:
I’ve recently just discovered – and read – the UNPLUG the Christmas Machine book. I visited your website and read the archived information with the workshop leader guide and participant guide.
Is permission still granted for others to use this material to lead workshops?
Also, are bulk/discount orders still available for the book?
I am the Director of the Welcoming Ministry at my church as well as an HR/Training and Development professional.
Thank you so much for your help!
Beth Cooper, Mason, OH (suburb of Cincinnati)
So good to hear from you, Beth.
Yes, anyone can use our online Leaders’ Guide and Participants’ Manual at no charge. No one is allowed to sell copies of these.
We no longer sell anything, so bulk/discount orders of the UNPLUG book are available at independent book sellers, locally or online. You may resell the book at your workshop. Please let me know whom you choose and how your event goes so I can share your story with others.
* * *
Latest SLW! Podcast #30 – Paul Canavese, head of GospelLiving.org. Paul and spouse Ann contributed to the Wedding Alternatives Supplement. They hosted Rita and I on a speaking tour. Read the notes of that visit at Post #58.
New Simply Advent eResources. It’s so encouraging when someone uses or re-issues some of Alternatives’ resources. Paul Canavese of The Pastoral Center has incorporated some of Alternatives’ Advent/Christmas resources in its new Simply Advent eResource series. (Or see all of their Advent eResources.)
* * *
Fall Festival Resources
- Fall Plans blog
- How to Host an Alternative Gift Fair | Planning an Alternative Christmas Workshop | How to Organize an Alternative Christmas Community Festival
- UNPLUG the Christmas Machine Workshop Leader’s Guide | UNPLUG blog
- Resource Index: Advent/Christmas
- An Abstract Expressionist Halloween blog
- Thanksgiving blog: How We Celebrate Says a Lot About How We Live
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (window #3). SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service.
* * *
Subscribe to SLW! Blog
Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
* * *
What’s NOW with SLW!
- Submit Now to “WHOSE Birthday?” 2014. Contribute to our most widely-read resource, “Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?” for Advent/Christmas, now published online. All 25+ editions are available on the SLW! site. Article Index.
- ART (line drawing, photo) that depicts the tension between faith and culture, especially at Christmas.
- PERSONAL EXPERIENCES (especially intergenerational ones) related to simplifying Christmas or finding meaning and happiness in relationships instead of stuff.
- FAMILY ACTIVITIES, rituals or worshipful ceremonies for Advent, Christmas or Epiphany.
- Feeling Bullied by Consumo? Ask Slim. I’ll give my reply to questions that are broadly about simpler living and invite you to add yours.
- Simple Living MUSIC. Earth Mama’s music is fun and enjoyed by all ages, while teaching important messages about sustainable living, recycling, and eco-activism. Perfect for teachers and Cultural Creatives, Earth Mama music spreads the word about sacred ecology and simple living. John Pitney’s complete “Live Simply So Others May Simply Live” (closing podcast theme) | website. MUSIC Collections: Sing Justice! Do Justice! | Carols with Justice | more
- Who is Brian “Wolt” Wolters? And what is the Overflow Project? Plus blog and resources | 50-Day Challenge | my blog SIMPLIFY + GIVE + CHANGE = WATER || Also in This Episode: Why Ares Danes So Happy? blog | Response to Danes blog | Recent Responses to all SLW! media with links
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – October
- Check out a few of these thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE.
- Treasury of Celebrations*: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth Earth – Sept.-Dec.
- Worship Alternatives: Pentecost/Ordinary Time
- Spirit of Simplicity: ART | QUOTES
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Celebrations | Spanish: 10 puntas
- Alternatives’ Seasonal/Thematic Index
Coming SLW! Podcasts
- Oct. 15 — Bob Sitze, author, blogger
- Nov.-Dec. – new “WHOSE Birthday?” Podcast series. Podcast Index, including “WHOSE Birthday?” 2013.
- I interviewed Tom and Christine Sine at Mustard Seed House for SLW! podcast #28. Tom’s author of the best-seller Mustard Seed Conspiracy.
- Tony and Shane Uncut Finale — Tony Campolo & Shane Claiborne’s complete dialog on simpler living and global justice, in eight parts. To LISTEN visit the Episode Index. Endorsements
What Others Are Doing
- The Common Good Podcast episode #52 – Falling in Love with Nature
- Seeing Systems: Peace, Justice and Sustainability – New Course from Northwest Earth Institute
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham. | TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 | Lee’s new Slide Show
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3).
Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback AT SimpleLivingWorks DOT org [or SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com or SimpleLivingWorks2@gmail.com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*GRAPHIC – Christmas Campaign Kit
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.