God Is Coming!
Posted November 27, 2014on:
Legacy Reflections by Connie and Milo Thornberry
- First Sunday of Advent: YESTERDAY, TODAY AND TOMORROW!
- Second Sunday of Advent: LIKE A REFINER’S FIRE!
- Third Sunday of Advent: PROMISE TO A WEARY PEOPLE
- Fourth Sunday of Advent: THE UNQUALIFIED “YES”
- Christmas Eve: WHERE THE MESSIAH IS
- Christmas I: REMEMBER THE INNOCENTS
- Epiphany: GO HOME BY ANOTHER ROAD
The Golden Rule Gone Wrong by Gerald Iversen
Almost PerfecT: Story by Jym Kruse
Activities: The Christmas Game
REFLECTIONS Through Advent to Epiphany by Connie & Milo Thornberry
- Hanging of the Greens by Lois Brokering
- More Ideas for the Hanging of the Greens by Carolyn Hardin Engelhardt
- Ending, Blending & Beginning Christmas Traditions by Mary & John Schramm
- A Service for Food Preparation by Laura Nedeau-Owen
* * *
Subscribe to SLW! Blog
Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
* * *
What’s NOW with SLW!
- NEW – Black Friday / Buy Nothing Day
- SLW! Podcast #33: WHOSE Birthday? part 2 – Susan Vogt, Meg Cox, Art Simon, Betsy Taylor | TEXT | SPANISH text, entitled “Adviento” | Waiting with Mary, Preparing with John the Baptist | The Gift of Ritual | Giving to the Wrong People | Making the Holidays Meaningful for Your Children
- Celebrating Thanks-a-weenie. To maximize fun and minimize travel for our far-flung family, we celebrated a five-in-one holiday this fall. This gave us a chance to be together and experience the Life Standard “Nurture People” from Living More with Less.
- Legacy WHOSE Birthday Is It, Anyway? – Come Ye to Bethlehem: Seven Legacy Reflections from Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? by Linda-Marie Delloff. Enjoy them now. Share them with your family and congregation face-to-face and through your website, newsletter, study group. O Come, O Come, Emmanuel by historian Justo Gonzalez. Reflections by author Marjorie J. Thompson; “Make Ready the Way of the Lord…” by Tom Hall.
- SLW! shares resources for this Advent-Christmas-Epiphany in many ways. 1. The WHOSE Birthday? four-part PODCAST series includes reflections and activities by Daniel Berrigan, William Sloane Coffin, Meg Cox, Betsy Taylor, Susan Briehl and many more from edition #18. Episodes 32-35 are released in iTunes and Stitcher Nov. 1 & 15; Dec. 1 & 15. Or you listen to any/all of them at your leisure on the SLW! site. 2. The new online edition of Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? #26 is ready. You can still contribute a Biblical Reflection or Family Activity. 3. Once or twice a week we’ll highlight a series of reflections from a past edition in this blog, as we did in 2013. (To find the 2013 offerings, skim through Nov. and Dec. in the Archives in the right column of this blog.) All three offerings — text, podcast, new, past — are different content.
Fall Festival Resources
- Fall Plans blog
- How to Host an Alternative Gift Fair | Planning an Alternative Christmas Workshop | How to Organize an Alternative Christmas Community Festival
- UNPLUG the Christmas Machine Workshop Leader’s Guide | UNPLUG blog
- Resource Index: Advent/Christmas
- Thanksgiving blog: How We Celebrate Says a Lot About How We Live
- Anyone can use our online Leaders’ Guide and Participants’ Manual to UNPLUG the Christmas Machine Workshop at no charge. No one is allowed to sell copies of these.
- Submit now to “WHOSE Birthday?” 2014. Contribute to our most widely-read resource, “Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?” for Advent/Christmas, now published online. All 25+ editions are available on the SLW! site. Article Index | Submission Guidelines
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – December
- Check out a few of these thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE.
- Treasury of Celebrations*: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth Earth – Sept.-Dec. | ADVENT | CHRISTMAS
- Worship Alternatives: Advent/Christmas/Epiphany
- Spirit of Simplicity: ART | QUOTES
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Celebrations | Spanish: 10 puntas
- Alternatives’ Seasonal/Thematic Index
- WHOSE Birthday? reflections by Jim McGinnis of the Institute for Peace & Justice; singing nun Miriam Therese Winter (remember “Joy Is Like the Rain”?)
- Nov.-Dec. – new “WHOSE Birthday?” SLW! Podcast series. Podcast Index, including “WHOSE Birthday?” 2013.
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media with links
What Others Are Doing
- Simplifying Holidays from Northwest Earth Institute
- The Common Good Podcast Episode 53 :: Dan Swanson: How U.S. Policies in Latin America Drive Immigrants North for Survival
- Seeing Systems: Peace, Justice and Sustainability – New Course from Northwest Earth Institute
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham. | TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 | Lee’s new Slide Show
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3).
Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback AT SimpleLivingWorks DOT org [or SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com or SimpleLivingWorks2@gmail.com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*GRAPHIC –Spirit of Simplicity: Quotes and Art #3-A804.
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.