Having an Epiphany for New Years
Posted December 30, 2014on:
So, what do New Years and Epiphany have in Common? In contrast to the over-commercialized and over-sentimentalized Christmas, Jesus is “shown forth” during the Epiphany season (from Jan. 6 till the beginning of Lent on Ash Wed., Feb. 18 this year). That’s the best inspiration for New Years resolutions I know!
New Year New Daily Inspiration Calendar
Epiphany | Epiphany Celebration | An Epiphany Celebration | Epiphany Gifts | Most series of reflections, activities and services in WHOSE Birthday? #1-17 include the Sundays after Christmas and conclude with Epiphany.
EARLY WINTER FESTIVALS
- New Year’s Day (Jan. 1)
- New Year’s Day
- Emancipation Day (Jan. 1)
- Epiphany (Jan. 6)
Making New Years Resolutions as a Spiritual Discipline (Godspace blog)
IMAGE: Worship Alternatives: Art #2967
* * *
Subscribe to SLW! Blog
Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
* * *
What’s NOW with SLW!
- ‘Tis the Season – Christmas BEGINS on December 25. Some fascinating articles for the season.• Susan Jacobson included me in her article “Some Find More Meaning in Christmas Without Gifts” for the Orlando, FL, Sentinel. At the end she lists most of SLW! signature “10 Tips for a Simpler, More Meaningful Christmas.” • Simple Living Tips for Millennial Christians and When Decemberism Crucifies Christmas from Sojourners • Simplify the Holidays from the Center for a New American Dream • How to Have a Non-Commercial Holiday from Utne Reader
- Going to Church on Christmas Eve — To encourage planning and communication we have developed Let’s Talk About Christmas worksheet. How are we going to celebrate Christmas next year? What is really most meaningful? Who’s going to do what? Are we willing to spend less on ourselves and give more to the needy?
- SLW! Podcast WHOSE Birthday? series | TEXT | SPANISH text, entitled “Adviento” | To LISTEN, click the player at the top or the bottom of the Show Notes, or visit the Episode Index.WHOSE Birthday? – an audio adaptation of SLW’s signature publication Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? — our Advent/Christmas/Epiphany annual for individuals, families and congregations.WHOSE Birthday? 2014 podcast series is taken from Edition #18 | TEXT | INSPIRING REFLECTIONS (with discussion questions), FUN ACTIVITIES and DAILY CALENDAR based on liturgical cycle B (Gospel of Mark)If you want to hear all four episodes at once, go to Podcast Index/Preview/BackUp.SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service.
- #35 – WHOSE Birthday? part 4 – Susan Briehl, Jill Miller and more! Christmas – New Years – Epiphany // Carols with Justice // Epiphany Gifts // Celebrating Epiphany
- #34 :: WHOSE Birthday? part 3 – Daniel Berrigan, William Sloane Coffin and more!
- #33 :: WHOSE Birthday? part 2 – Susan Vogt, Meg Cox, Art Simon, Betsy Taylor
- #32 :: WHOSE Birthday? part 1 – Igniting Christmas Simplicity in Our Hearts
- Legacy WHOSE Birthday Is It, Anyway? Enjoy and share these BIBLICAL REFLECTIONS and ACTIVITIES through ADVENT to EPIPHANY • Jim & Kathy McGinnis of the Institute for Peace & Justice • Reflections by Miriam Therese “The Singing Nun” Winter. • Connie and Milo Thornberry (Milo formerly served as director of Alternatives.) • Reflections by Linda-Marie Delloff • Reflections by historian Justo Gonzalez. • Reflections by author Marjorie J. Thompson. • Tom Hall. Plus, The Christmas Game | Ending, Blending & Beginning Christmas Traditions by Mary & John Schramm
- The new online edition of Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? #26
NEXT Fall Festival Resources
- Anyone can use our online Leaders’ Guide and Participants’ Manual to UNPLUG the Christmas Machine Workshop at no charge. No one is allowed to sell copies of these.
- Contribute to our most widely-read resource, Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? for Advent/Christmas 2015, now published online. All 26 editions are available on the SLW! site. Article Index | Submission Guidelines
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – January
- Check out a few of these thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Alternatives’ Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
- Jan. – Interviews with Champion of Simple Living Duane Elgin, author of the classic Voluntary Simplicity
- Send a Message! Be the Message! What Do Our Clothes Say? | Different Messages | New Resource | SLW! has collections of free stickers and fliers for do-it-yourself’ers to use at Christmas or year ’round through the mail and email. For more encouragement, read my blog Seeds of Influence, part 1 | part 2.
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media with links
What Others Are Doing
- Simplifying Holidays from Northwest Earth Institute
- The Common Good Podcast
Episode 54 :: Lan Richart: Pressing for Justice in the Ecosystems Where Life Thrives or Dies
- Seeing Systems: Peace, Justice and Sustainability – New Course from Northwest Earth Institute
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham. | TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 | Lee’s new Slide Show
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3).
Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback AT SimpleLivingWorks DOT org [or SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com or SimpleLivingWorks2@gmail.com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * email@example.com
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.