Podcast #36-Duane Elgin, Champion of Simple Living Today
Posted January 9, 2015on:
Duane on SLW! Voluntary Simplicity: Lifestyle of the Future?
His professional website: GreatTransitionStories.org
His personal site: DuaneElgin.com: About • Speaking • Great Transition Stories • Articles • Blog • Videos • Audio Files • Books • Contact
His writings there on Sustainability and Simplicity: Voluntary Simplicity: Cool Lifestyle for a Hot Planet • The Garden Of Simplicity • Peril and Promise • Upshifters: Pioneers of an Awakening Culture • Voluntary Simplicity • The Value Of Voluntary Simplicity (seminal 1936 article by Richard Gregg)
IMAGE: Duane by rock
* * *
Highlights of SLW! 2014 Annual Report
SLW! blogs are up to 195; podcast to 35 episodes. Interviews of Champions of Simple Living Today will intensify in 2015.
New Services include ‘SLW! Recommends’ Literacy Service and Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites.
* * *
Subscribe to SLW! Blog
Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
* * *
What’s NOW with SLW!
- New Collaborators and ChampionsI’d like to help save you time by previewing on my site some of the many simple living sites, podcasts and blogs on my site. If you see something that interests you, click the link and enjoy. I include both faith-based and secular. By listing a blog, I am not necessarily recommending it. I have added a few gentle cautions about some of them.Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and SitesNEW Collaborators
- Christian Simplicity — Conversations about God, trust, and money
- Dave and Sheryl Balthrop: Simple Life Reboot — Making Room for That Which Matters Most: Transformational, healthy minimalism. 2-3 minute episodes
- Simple Life Together, a podcast dedicated to leading a simple life in the modern world by Dan and Vanessa Hayes.
- SimpleREV Conference — Revive and Rev It Up! + All Things SimpleREV Podcast. Besides, SimpleREV, Joel Zaslofsky is the Chief Simplifier, Curator, and Founder at Value of Simple. He also hosts the popular Smart and Simple Matters show.
- Joshua Becker is the Founder and Editor of Becoming Minimalist, a website with over 500,000 regular monthly readers dedicated to inspiring others to find more life by owning less. Motto: Caring for Your Whole Self. His rational approach to minimalism focuses on passion and purpose.
- Sarah Wehkamp is passionate about helping families find balance and simplicity in their home life. She and her husband, Chris, are founders of Parents Who, a website that equips parents with tools to create and maintain a simpler, more meaningful family life.
THANKS to Duane Elgin for putting me onto some of the above. Don’t miss my recent podcast interview with Duane.
- Contribute to our most widely-read resource, Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway? for Advent/Christmas 2015, now published online. All 26 editions are available on the SLW! site. Article Index | Submission Guidelines | Contribute to 2015 Whose Risen from the Dead, Anyway? for Lent and Easter season.
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – January
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
Having an Epiphany for New Years — In contrast to the over-commercialized and over-sentimentalized Christmas, Jesus is “shown forth” during the Epiphany season (from Jan. 6 till the beginning of Lent on Ash Wed., Feb. 18 this year). || New Year New Daily Inspiration Calendar
- ‘Tis the Season – Some fascinating articles for the season.• Susan Jacobson included me in her article “Some Find More Meaning in Christmas Without Gifts” for the Orlando, FL, Sentinel. At the end she lists most of SLW! signature “10 Tips for a Simpler, More Meaningful Christmas.”
- Going to Church on Christmas Eve — To encourage planning and communication we have developed Let’s Talk About Christmas worksheet.
NEXT Fall Festival Resources: Fall Plans blog
Send a Message! Be the Message! | SLW! has collections of free stickers and fliers for do-it-yourself’ers to use at Christmas or year ’round through the mail and email. For more encouragement, read my blog Seeds of Influence, part 1 | part 2.
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media with links
What Others Are Doing
- The Common Good Podcast
Episode 55: Larry Kurschner: Fixing the Electronic Waste Problem
Episode 54: Lan Richart: Pressing for Justice in the Ecosystems Where Life Thrives or Dies
- Seeing Systems: Peace, Justice and Sustainability – New Course from Northwest Earth Institute
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham. | TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 | Lee’s new Slide Show
- The Common Good Podcast
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3).
Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback AT SimpleLivingWorks DOT org [or SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com or SimpleLivingWorks2@gmail.com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * email@example.com
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.