Young Activist Minimalist Team–SLW! eNews
Posted June 5, 2015on:
Simple Living Works! eNews
#45, June, 2015
Jared Brock is the author of A Year of Living Prayerfully, and the co-founder of Hope for the Sold, an abolitionist charity that fights human trafficking. Jared is happily married to his best friend, Michelle, with whom he is the co-director and co-producer of Red Light Green Light. Together they have traveled to over 40 countries and have spoken in over 100 cities around North America. Jared’s writing has appeared in Huffington Post, Converge, Esquire, and Relevant Magazine, and he writes regularly at JaredBrock.com.
* * *
Subscribe to SLW! Blog
Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
* * *
What’s NOW with SLW!
- Alternatives’ legacy audio recording Living Simply and Loving It! was made to accompany Simple Living 101: Tools for Activists Shy or Bold. | Similar TEXT Version | Gerald Iversen | Then we made the video Simple Living Struggles and Solutions, which is based on the same concepts but includes many different examples. See it as Simple Living Works! on YouTube. Parts 1 & 2 below link to the newly-produced podcast episodes. Segments 1-5 go to the original recordings (without notes). MENTION links go to the free resources referenced on the SLW! site.PART 1 – Episode 44
- Segment 1: Introduction
- Segment 2: Five Life Standards of Voluntary Simplicity – Cherish the Natural Order, Do Justice
- MENTIONS: Living More with Less
- Segment 3: Life Standards – Learn from the World Community, Nurture People, Non-Conform Freely
- Segment 4: Mission — MENTIONS: Prophetic Messages // Community Cookbooks // TV Turn Off Week // Buy Nothing Day // Justin Lewis: Media and Consumer Capitalism // Media Literacy // 12 Steps to a Simpler Life // Giving Ourselves 10 Years to Retire // Alternative Giving // Alternate Market, Workshop, Festival // SLOW Down // Simplicity Forum // Take Back Your Time // Let’s Talk About Christmas worksheet // Gratitude Card
- Segment 5: Resources — MENTIONS: Whose Birthday? // 10 Tips // Videos // Christmas Campaign Kit // Carols with Justice // Any Year Calendar // Spirit of Simplicity: Quotes & Art // Wedding Alternatives // Break Forth into Joy video // Treasury of Celebrations
- In the Steps of St. Paul -Rita and I had the pleasure of traveling to Greece (and a bit of Turkey) this spring. We were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. . . about five years late. Two new grandchildren kept changing our plans! We visited the sites where St. Paul planted early Christian churches, and for whom epistles in the New Testament are named – Thessaloniki, Philippi, Corinth, Ephesus.
A main incentive of such a tour for Simple Livers is the Life Standard “Learn from the World Community.” Other ways to learn are through Fair Trade, food and music. The five Life Standards of Living More with Less sometimes require trade-offs. Such a trip rubs up against “Cherish the Natural Order,” because they tend to be environmentally stressful, and against “Do Justice!”
- SUBSCRIBE for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service.
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – JUNE
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
- SLW! Podcast: Episode 43: Jeff Yeager, much more than the Ultimate Cheapskate; author of The Cheapskate Next Door and Don’t Throw That Away! // Jeff’s The Cheap Life on YouTube (AARP) // Jeff’s Savings Expert (AARP)
- Episode 42 – Clyde Griffith of NewCelebrations.com: Resources that reflect a more healthy, a more sane, a more theologically correct approach to more meaningful celebration of Christmas and other holidays.
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // New Collaborators and Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media, including links
What Others Are Doing
- Susan Vogt Blog Alert
- That socially responsible thing: Some find love of neighbor influences buying, investing behavior
- The Common Good Podcast –
Episode 60 :: Christle Balvin — Extreme Drought Teaches Value of Water for the Common Good
- Three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals || Conversation about The OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham. | TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 | Lee’s new Slide Show
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3).
Complete Episode Index
Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback@SimpleLivingWorks.org [or SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com or SimpleLivingWorks2@gmail.com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
IMAGE: Jared and Michelle Brock on tour
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.