Simple Living Works! Weekly
Posted October 9, 2015on:
Simple Living Works! Weekly Digest
Oct. 8, 2015
In This Issue:
- Paul Canavese on Pope Francis’ Encyclical and US Visit
- Do-It-Yourself “Whose Birthday?”
- Free Fall Festival Resources
- What Others Are Doing – So much help!
Yes, YOU can have our own customized, DIY Whose Birthday? Click here for tips to CREATE, PRODUCE, DISTRIBUTE and PROMOTE your do-it-yourself version.
Make it provocative, humorous, serious or a combination, in your way to advance SLW! mission: “equipping people of faith to challenge consumerism, live justly and celebrate responsibly.”
The classic Advent/Christmas resource “Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?” is available in multiple formats in 2015 to meet your personal, family and community needs.
“Whose Birthday?” #27 is a new, free online collection. Use as much as you need in print or online. You’re welcome to contribute to our most widely-read resource, “Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?” #27 for Advent/Christmas. All past editions are still available on the SLW! site. The articles are carefully indexed. The current edition will be updated as new material arrives, so send ideas and items anytime. Prepare something now while it’s really on your mind. Submission Guidelines
A legacy “Whose Birthday?” is scheduled for release as a multi-part SLW! podcast series in late fall. It can also be used as text or audio. It’s calendar matches the lectionary cycle (C).
What’s NOW with SLW!
SLW! Podcast #54: Paul Canavese on Pope Francis — How to Keep His Momentum Building
I’m looking for a good home for some interesting, unusual magazines. I request you pay only actual media mail charges. Look through the list. First come/first served. Please reply before the end of Oct.
- FALL FESTIVAL RESOURCES
- SUBSCRIBE to SLW! Podcast for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Subscribe to SLW! Blog. Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar — OCTOBER
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
- SLW! Podcast Ep. 55: David E. Shi, author of the classic “The Simple Life: Plain Living and High Thinking in American Culture” (10/15) Complete Preview
- SLW! Podcast #56-59: WHOSE Birthday? (Nov.-Dec.)
What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
I’m glad to pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn’t read them all. Choose FIVE links — including SLW! — to investigate.
- Becoming Minimalist (Joshua Becker)
- The Productivity of Being Non-Productive (10/13)
- The Appeal of Generosity (10/6)
- How to Use the Principle of the Tipping Point (9/29)
- Inspiring Simplicity. Weekend Reads. (9/25)
- Owning Less Is Great. Wanting Less Is Better. (9/15)
- Inspiring Simplicity. Weekend Reads. (9/12)
- A Season to Gather Happiness (9/7)
- Center for a New American Dream: Kids Unbranded Action Kit (7/14)
- The Common Good Podcast
- Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) — Website, Songbooks, Whole Enchi-Mama on a USB Thumbdrive, Standing on the Shoulders music video, sheet music offerings — all NEW
- Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell) // Voluntary Simplicity archive
- GodSpace (Christine Sine)
- The Homesteading Guide Daily: Homesteading adventurer exploring life off the grid. Inviting you to share my journey and the friends I meet as we help you with your homesteading endeavors.
- Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways // TMI-Too Much Information:
- NEW — Live Simply (Third Way: Celeste Kennel-Shank)
- Mustard Seed Associates (Andy Wade)
- NEW — New Celebrations (Clyde Griffith)
- NorthWest Earth Institute‘s newest discussion course ebook, Change Is Our Choice: Creating Climate Solutions
- The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham)
- Three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and Lee’s book,
Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us
- The Common Good Podcast, episode 42
- Lee’s new Slide Show
- NEW – The Pastoral Center/Gospel Living (Paul Canavese)
- PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough
- Inspiring Less-is-More Quotes to Find Your Personal Less (8/24)
- NEW — 37 Marketing Traps to Look Out For This Holiday Season
- Tips for Raising PostConsumer Children: Grade School // Middle School // High School // College
- Simple Enough (Bob Sitze)
- “Simple Words: Kerfuffle” (10/9)
- “Let It Alone” (9/27)
- “Simplicity’s children: Dealing with FOMO” (9/24)
- “People analytics down at church” (9/21)
- “Simple enough: Special feature—Advent devotions” (9/18)
- “The cost of redemption” (Part 2) (9/15)
- “The cost of redemption” (Part 1) (9/12)
- “Simple words: Redemption” (9/9)
- “Simple congregation: Prayer writing as worship preparation” (9/6)
- “Simple things: Paper” (9/3)
- “Praying the Context” (8/31)
- “A Bandwagon Is Coming Your Way (8/28)
- Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs)
- Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
- Latest edition
- NEW – Simplicity Collective – Let us be pioneers once more (Samuel Alexander)
- NEW – Simplicity Parenting (Kim John Payne): because it is a beautiful world
- Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky of Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent)
- How to Grow Food Anywhere and Build Community Everywhere with Eugene Cooke, Ep. 83 (9/21)
- 5 Strategic Steps to Streamline Your Life with Miriam Ortiz y Pino, Ep. 82 (9/7)
- How Rich I am, What Angers Me, and the Mess I’m Withholding from You, Ep. 81 (8/24)
- The 4 Pillars of Survival and How to Reconnect to Nature with Cliff Hodges, Ep. 80 (8/10)
- How to End the Undeclared War on Childhood and Simplicity Parenting with Kim John Payne, Ep.79 (7/27)
- For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! blog.
Upcoming Alternate Celebrations
- SLW! Podcast #53: World Community Cookbooks UPDATED
- SLW! Podcast #52: Kristina’s “Alternative” Ph.D. Dissertation + Plus links to other fascinating historical “Alternative” documents and photos.
- SLW! Podcast #51: Steve Beumer, White House ‘Champion of Change’ Honoree: People of Faith Acting for the Climate
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // New Collaborators and Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media, including links
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*IMAGE: Spirit of Simplicity #3-A533
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * email@example.com
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.