Simple Living Works! Weekly
Posted May 15, 2016on:
May 15, 2016
In This Issue:
- SLW! Podcast #69 – Renowned Biblical scholar and author Walter Brueggemann //
- Our Simple Living Daily Nudge — Weekly Edition //
- What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
What’s NOW with SLW!
- SLW! Podcast #69 – Renowned Biblical scholar and author Walter Brueggemann (May 15)–Sabbath as Resistance: Saying NO to the Culture of NOW
- Our Daily Simple Living Nudge
- SLW! Podcast #68: Ed Fallon, talk show host of Fallon Forum, climate crisis activist, former elected state official
- New SLW! Site Search Engine on Home Page Window #4
- SLW! Blog Index | SLW! Podcast Index
- SUBSCRIBE to SLW! Podcast for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Subscribe to SLW! Blog. Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – MAY: Environment – the 4 R’s || JUNE: Alternative Giving
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
What’s Coming on SLW!
Conversation with Tom Sine, author of Live Like You Give a Damn! Join the ChangeMaking Celebration and his New Changemakers blog.
What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
I’m glad to pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn’t read them all. Choose FIVE links — including SLW! — to investigate.
- Becoming Minimalist (Joshua Becker)
- Center for a New American Dream: Kids Unbranded Action Kit
Stop McTeacher’s Nights! At these branded events, teachers “work” behind the counter at McDonald’s selling burgers, fries, and soda to students and their families. Let’s put an end to this marketing ploy disguised as a school fundraiser.
Your Stuff, Their Stuff, Our Stuff: Is the weight of your “stuff” bogging you down? What about inherited items or stuff that belongs to others? Decluttering expert Pam Holland believes that tackling the excess stuff in our lives is key to improving well-being.
10 Reasons to Host an Alternative Gift Fair: It’s not too early to begin planning an Alternative Gift Fair in your community. Julie Welles shares her experience in Pennsylvania and offers 10 compelling reasons for hosting an event this year.
- Going Plastic-free, Faithfully: Retired pediatrician Carol Janus found renewed purpose in helping others when she partnered with the faith-based community—and beyond—to raise awareness about plastic pollution in her community.
- How to Start Your Own Toy Library (recorded webinar)
- The Common Good Podcast
- Ep. 71: Jim Redmond, Mr. Missouri River, on Acting Ecologically Wherever You Live (5/1)
- Episode 70: William Ostrander:: I Want to Reverse Climate Change by How I Farm. Why Am I Also Running for U.S. Congress? (4/1)
- Episode 68: Convergence of OneEarth Living and Voluntary Simplicity (2/1)
- Community Solutions: Founded in 1940, this non-profit organization advocates for small communities and the benefits of face-to-face relationships. Since 2003, the focus has been to provide resources for low-carbon living and to inspire collective, cooperative solutions in the face of peak energy and climate change.
- Creation Justice: CAPSULES – News and Opportunities for Christians Doing Creation Justice
- E-The Environmental Magazine
- Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) – Website, Songbooks, Whole Enchi-Mama on a USB Thumbdrive, Standing on the Shoulders music video, sheet music offerings // SLW! Podcast
- Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell) // Voluntary Simplicity archive // SLW! Podcast #18 // SLW! Podcast #66
- GodSpace (Christine Sine) // SLW! Podcast
- The Homesteading Guide Daily: Exploring life off the grid.
- Jubilee Economics (Lee Van Ham, Dan Swanson, Gerald Iversen)
- A Living Earth Economy (David Korten – Yes! Magazine): This column explores how we can make peace with nature, realize the value of living wealth, and return to local, self-organized rule.
- Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways – Finding good homes for no longer needed items rather than just putting them in the trash // TMI-Too Much Information // SLW! Podcast // SLW! Podcast: Lent
1. Cleaning up my Desk + many excuses for delaying it
2. Listening More Closely to Others
- An Inconvenient Lent
- Cleaning My Desk #1 – my paper reduction scheme, 8 things I learned
- Desk Cleaning #2 – a little about decluttering my desk but even more about facing a health issue
- Dancing & Desk Cleaning #3 -another procrastination excuse + 5 emotional reactions to going through old papers
- Travel & Desk Cleaning #4 – 3 insights about letting go of papers
- Cell Phones & Desk Cleaning #5 – what to do with old cell phones
- Lenten Lessons & Guilt – 6 things I learned during my 2+ months of paper reduction and trying to listen better
Listen up – What I learned from not being about to hear well
- Live Simply (Third Way: Celeste Kennel-Shank)
- The Minimalists podcast (Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus). Minimalism is the thing that gets us past the things so we can make room for life’s most important things — which actually aren’t things at all.
- Mustard Seed Associates (Andy Wade)
- NEW- New Changemakers: Join the Changemaking Celebration! (Tom Sine)
- NorthWest Earth Institute‘s latest discussion course ebook, Sustainability Works: Rethinking Business As Usual // Change Is Our Choice: Creating Climate Solutions // Voluntary Simplicity // SLW! Podcast
- The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham)
- Sizing Up Our Great Work (4/21)
- The Heroic Journey to Keep Earth Livable (4/14)
- Fun, Affordable Way to Get a Professional Design for Your Book Cover, Tee Shirt, etc. (3/28)
- Cover Art for My Next Book: Artist John August Swanson (3/18)
- Three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and Lee’s book,
Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us
- The Pastoral Center/Gospel Living (Paul Canavese) // SLW! Podcast
- PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough
- Marketing 101 for the Postconsumer: understand how marketers are manipulating us, so we can make informed decisions about how we control our consumerism.
Updated Postconsumers Glossary: From serious definitions to inspiring Postconsumers core values and even a few playful throw-aways.
Control Addictive Consumerism: Interactive Web Course
- The Disposable Nature of Addictive Consumerism
- The Difference Between Anti-Consumerism and Postconsumerism
- The Good, Bad and Ugly of Emerging Markets
- You Are Not Where You Shop
- Tips for Raising PostConsumer Children: Grade School // Middle School // High School // College
- Simple Enough (Bob Sitze) // SLW! Podcast
- “Mindless Exultation?”
- “Time for Hard Choices?”
- “Simple Congregations: Disaster Preparedness”
- Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs)–Time, Finances, Home-Work, Health
- Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
- Simplicity Collective – Let us be pioneers once more (Samuel Alexander)
- Simplicity Parenting (Kim John Payne): because it is a beautiful world
- Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky of Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent) // SLW! Podcast
- The More of Less and Generosity as an Act of Bravery (Joshua Becker) – Ep.98
- From World’s Best Bartender to Low Tox Life Champion (Alexx Stuart)–Ep.97
- TreeHugger: Finding a Greener Future
- Various Publications
- Pynpinie: ideas for the inside of your home that are simple to use, functional and attractive: 16 Actions to Take Today to Live a Simple Life
- “Organize His Way: A Christ-Centered Approach to Organizing Your Life,” Bible study workbook and support network. EileenKoffMinistries.com Blessings, not stuff, Eileen Koff CPO (Certified Professional Organizer)
- Cutting Clutter with Compassion, Utne Reader
- Time to Stop Worshipping Economic Growth, Daly News (CASSE)
- Enoughness Instead of Never Enough (2/19) Center for Action and Contemplation (Richard Rohr)
- Social Innovation Solutions: Voluntary Simplicity (Dr. Thomas Jefferson Hoban, IV)
- Pirate Television: Kima Cargill: The Psychology of Overeating
- For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! blog.
- Upcoming Alternate Celebrations: Jan.-April // May-Aug.
- Alternatives’ Founder Has Died. I wanted to reach out to those of you have been carrying on my Dad’s work. Bob Kochtitzky passed away early on May 5th after a long struggle with Alzheimer’s disease. One of the things that gave him comfort in the twilight of his years was knowing that folks like you were continuing his work. My sister Michele and I wanted to reach out and let you know the news and to thank you for your ongoing efforts.Godspeed,
Chris KochtitzkyAlternatives’ History with photos, 1973 to present || Historical Note from Bob K. on Alternatives’ 20th Anniversary
- Here’s help with next year’s taxes! — SLW! Podcast #67: redmoonsong is a simple living war tax resister. Her inspiring personal story shows that simple living does indeed work! Waging Peace at Tax Time // Simple Living as a War Tax Resister
- SLW! Podcast #66: Peter Sawtell, Eco-Justice Ministries, updates us on the Paris Climate Talks, Fear vs. Anxiety, and Grieving about the Creation Crisis
- Live Like You Give a Damn! Join the Changemaking Celebration! Get Tom Sine’s new book (also, text and video testimonials). Videos: The Future of the Church (27 min.); Tom Sine Interviews Mark Scandrette, author of FREE: Spending Your Time and Money on What Matters Most (15 min.); An Invitation to Join the Changemaking Celebration (2:33); The Future of the Church (1:42); Tom’s writings for Alternatives: Reflections for Advent and Christmas
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // New Collaborators and Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media, including links
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index. Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*IMAGE: Walter Brueggemann, courtesy Westminster John Knox Press
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 // (847) 690-9410 // email@example.com
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog each week.