Simple Living Works! Weekly Digest
Posted August 22, 2016on:
Simple Living Works! Weekly Digest
August 22, 2016
In This Issue:
- SLW! Podcast Ep. 75 — Jim Goetsch of Friends of the Third World //
- Our Simpler Living Weekly Daily Nudge //
- What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
- NEW – Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things, the #1 indie documentary of 2016, now available on Vimeo
What’s NOW with SLW!
- SLW! Podcast Ep. 75: Jim Goetsch, Friends of the Third World (8/15) – Digging at the roots of poverty since 1972
- SLW! Podcast Ep. 74: Glen Gersmehl, Lutheran Peace Fellowship (8/1) – Seeking Peace in a Time of Violence
- Our Daily Simpler Living Nudge
- Easy-to-share for August: Personal Choices, Happiness, Fulfillment // Week 1: Work, Stress & Health //Week 2: Support //Week 3: Transportation & Travel // Week 4: Homes & Buildings: Construction, Energy Generating, Appliances // 2016
- What Is The NUDGE? // How It Works // How to GET It – Subscribe by sending NUDGE to SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com // How to SHARE ItMore About Holidays
- Relish These Sustenance QUOTES // ART
- New SLW! Site Search Engine on Home Page Window #4
- SLW! Blog Index | SLW! Podcast Index
- SUBSCRIBE to SLW! Podcast for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Subscribe to SLW! Blog. Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – AUGUST || SEPTEMBER
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
I gladly pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn’t read them all. Choose FIVE links — including SLW! — to investigate.
- Becoming Minimalist (Joshua Becker)
- Center for a New American Dream: Kids Unbranded Action Kit
- The Common Good Podcast – temporarily offline
- Ep. 74: Paul Taylor–How Much Is Enough?
- Ep. 73: Hal Brody–An Up-to-the-Minute Report on Solar Energy
- Ep. 72: Walter Brueggemann on Sabbath as Resistance to a Nano-Second, Hurry-up World (6/1)
- Community Solutions: Founded in 1940, this non-profit organization advocates for small communities and the benefits of face-to-face relationships. Since 2003, the focus has been to provide resources for low-carbon living and to inspire collective, cooperative solutions in the face of peak energy and climate change.
- Creation Justice: CAPSULES – News and Opportunities for Christians Doing Creation Justice
- E-The Environmental Magazine
- Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) – Website, Songbooks, Whole Enchi-Mama on a USB Thumbdrive, Standing on the Shoulders music video, sheet music offerings // SLW! Podcast
- Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell) // Voluntary Simplicity archive // SLW! Podcast #18 // SLW! Podcast #66
- GodSpace (Christine Sine) // SLW! Podcast
- The Good Stuff—your dose of what’s working in the world from The Story of Stuff Project!
- Green Child eMagazine: Simplify for Happier, Calmer Kids
- The Homesteading Guide Daily: Exploring life off the grid.
- Jubilee Economics (Lee Van Ham) – temporarily offline
- A Living Earth Economy (David Korten – Yes! Magazine): How we can make peace with nature, realize the value of living wealth, and return to local, self-organized rule.
- Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways – Finding good homes for no longer needed items rather than just putting them in the trash // SLW! Podcast // SLW! Podcast: Lent
- 1 in-1 out: Tools – Finding good homes for duplicate tools and appliances.
- 1 in-1 out: Windows – New windows are more energy efficient. Old windows can be turned into jobs and renovated housing.
- 3 in-71 out: Miscellaneous – When numbers can be misleading plus, how compulsive are you?
- 11 in-1 out: Other’s stuff – Policies and exceptions about storing adult children’s stuff
- TIME: Deal or no Deal – Determining when it’s better to save time and when it’s better to save money.
- Live Simply (Third Way: Celeste Kennel-Shank)
- Lutheran Peace Fellowship: Simple Living Resources
- The Minimalists podcast (Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus). Getting us past the things so we can make room for life’s most important things — which actually aren’t things at all.
- NEW – How might your life be better with less? Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things examines the many flavors of minimalism by taking the audience inside the lives of minimalists from all walks of life—families, entrepreneurs, architects, artists, journalists, scientists, and even a former Wall Street broker—all of whom are striving to live a meaningful life with less. After its successful theatrical run, Minimalism, the #1 indie documentary of 2016, is finally available worldwide: Online: Vimeo (includes six hours of bonus interviews) – $20. See the trailer for free on The Minimalists site.
- 032: Chicago (8/10)
- 031: Documentaries (8/1)
- Mustard Seed Associates (Andy Wade)
- New Changemakers: Join the Changemaking Celebration! (Tom Sine)
- NorthWest Earth Institute‘s latest discussion course ebook, Sustainability Works: Rethinking Business As Usual // Change Is Our Choice: Creating Climate Solutions // Voluntary Simplicity // SLW! Podcast
- The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham)
- Predation by “Civilized” Humans More Ruthless than Killing in the Wild? (8/7)
- Sharing Space with Wild Critters; Being Together in One, Living Community
- Was There a Wild West That Needed Taming? Luther Standing Bear (Sioux) Answers (7/22)
- Three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and Lee’s book,
Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us
- The Pastoral Center/Gospel Living (Paul Canavese) // SLW! Podcast
- PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough / Full Article Library
- 25 Ways to Help Save the Ocean (Or At Least Stem the Tide)
- Marketing 101 for the Postconsumer: understand how marketers are manipulating us, so we can make informed decisions about how we control our consumerism.
- Simple Enough (Bob Sitze) // SLW! Podcast
- Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs)–Time, Finances, Home-Work, Health
- Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
- Simplicity Collective – Let us be pioneers once more (Samuel Alexander)
- Simplicity Parenting (Kim John Payne): because it is a beautiful world
- Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky of Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent) // SLW! Podcast
- Social Security vs. social security-Ep.106
- How to Discuss Identity, Race, and Prejudice (Charlie Gilkey)–Ep.105
- Simplicity as Your Path Back to Love (Courtney Carver)-Ep.104
- Practice Dying to Live Better-Ep.103
- TreeHugger: Finding a Greener Future
- Various Publications–AARP (Jeff Yeager): Living on a Budget – Downsizing? Ditch These Items // SLW! Podcast
- For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! blog.
- Upcoming Alternate Celebrations: May-Aug. || Sept.-Dec.
- SLW! Podcast #72 || #73 – John Seager, Pres./CEO, Population Connection, Parts 1 & 2 // World Population Day // 2016 Theme: Investing in Teenage Girls
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // New Collaborators and Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media, including links
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index. Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
- *IMAGE: Spirit of Simplicity #9-A809, courtesy biblische Grafik Gemeindebrief
- For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 // (847) 690-9410 // email@example.com
- We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
- Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
- *Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
- Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog each week.