Simple Living Works! Weekly Digest
Posted October 22, 2016on:
Simple Living Works! Weekly Digest
Oct. 22, 2016
In This Issue:
- SLW! Podcast #79–Lee Van Ham: From Egos to Eden //
- Submit to WHOSE Birthday? #28 //
- Worth Revisiting: Halloween //
- Our Simpler Living Weekly Daily Nudge // Easy-to-share for Oct.
- Relish These Sustenance QUOTES // ART //
- What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
What’s NOW with SLW!
- SLW! Podcast #79–Lee Van Ham previews vol. 2 of his “Eden for the 21st Century” trilogy, entitled From Egos to Eden: Our Heroic Journey to Keep Earth Livable.
- Want to Contribute to WHOSE Birthday? 2016: An Advent and Christmas Resource for Families, Individuals and Churches. Submission Guidelines Whose Birthday? is for your personal inspiration, community education and sharing. This online-only edition is a work-in-progress. You can still submit ART or an ARTICLE. Although this resource is not available in print, you may make all the copies you choose. It is covered by Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
- Interfaith Power & Light // Participate in the Election // Voter Reflection Guide // SLW! Podcast Ep.47 with IPL
- SLW! Podcast Ep. 78–James Howard Kunstler of KustlerCast, author of The Geography of Nowhere (1994), a history of American suburbia and urban development; The Long Emergency (2005); Too Much Magic (2012); and World Made by Hand series of novels. He argues that declining oil production is likely to result in the end of industrialized society as we know it and force Americans to live in smaller-scale, localized, agrarian (or semi-agrarian) communities.
- Our Daily Simpler Living Nudge
- What Is The NUDGE? / How It Works / How to GET It – Subscribe by sending NUDGE to SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com. / How to SHARE It / More About Holidays
- September: Non-conform Freely
- October: Sustenance // Week 1: Food || Week 2: Recipes (from Developing Countries) & Food Preparation || Week 3: Sustainable Agriculture, Organic Farming || Week 4: Gardening
- New SLW! Site Search Engine on Home Page Window #4
- Current activities of the Chief Activist
- SLW! Blog Index | SLW! Podcast Index
- SUBSCRIBE to SLW! Podcast for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Subscribe to SLW! Blog. Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – OCT.
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
SLW! Podcast #80-83–“Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?” annual series for Advent/Christmas (11/1, 11/15, 12/1, 12/15)
Daily Nudges for Nov.: More Celebrating
What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
I gladly pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn’t read them all. Choose FIVE links — including SLW! — to investigate.
- NEW – Advent Conspiracy: video, family guide and Advent calendar, Sunday School curriculum, Advent sermon outline // SLW! Podcast
- Becoming Minimalist (Joshua Becker)
- Center for a New American Dream: Kids Unbranded Action Kit
- 4 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Buying a Product
- 10 Reasons to Host an Alternative Gift Fair: begin planning early.
- Going Plastic-free, Faithfully
NEW – “So What Can I Get You for Your Wedding?” Two sets of dishware, two sets of camping gear, two toasters? If you don’t need more “stuff,” register to celebrate love and family instead.
NEW – Opt for a Greener, Simpler Halloween. Halloween is big business.This year, why not direct your spending and creativity toward a greener, simpler holiday?
NEW – 7 Ways to Build Sane and Sustainable Money Habits. Help your kids stay on track managing their money by having a clear, values-based plan.
- The Common Good Podcast – back online! Check out the new site.
- Ep. 76: Let’s Have an Ugly Food Thanksgiving
- BONUS: 11 practical ways you can reduce food waste and save money
- Ep. 75: Jean Diaz–San Diego Community Land Trust
- Ep. 74: Paul Taylor–How Much Is Enough?
- Community Solutions: Founded in 1940, this non-profit organization advocates for small communities and the benefits of face-to-face relationships. Since 2003, the focus has been to provide resources for low-carbon living and to inspire collective, cooperative solutions in the face of peak energy and climate change.
- Creation Justice: CAPSULES – News and Opportunities for Christians Doing Creation Justice
- E-The Environmental Magazine
- Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) – Website, Songbooks, Whole Enchi-Mama on a USB Thumb drive, Standing on the Shoulders music video, sheet music offerings // SLW! Podcast
- Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell) // Voluntary Simplicity archive // SLW! Podcast #18 // SLW! Podcast #66
- GodSpace (Christine Sine) // SLW! Podcast
- The Good Stuff—your dose of what’s working in the world from The Story of Stuff Project!
- Green Child eMagazine: Simplify for Happier, Calmer Kids
- The Homesteading Guide Daily: Exploring life off the grid.
- Jubilee Economics / Casa Jubileo (Lee Van Ham & Dan Swanson) – Back online! Check out the new site.
- A Living Earth Economy (David Korten – Yes! Magazine): How we can make peace with nature, realize the value of living wealth, and return to local, self-organized rule.
- Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways – Finding good homes for no longer needed items rather than just putting them in the trash // SLW! Podcast // SLW! Podcast: Lent
- Live Simply (Third Way: Celeste Kennel-Shank)
- Lutheran Peace Fellowship: Simple Living Resources
- The Minimalists podcast (Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus). Getting us past the things so we can make room for life’s most important things — which actually aren’t things at all.
- 035: Dayton
- 034: Utah
- 033: Criticism
- NEW – Minimalism: A Documentary about the Important Things
- The Art of Letting Go: The Minimalists TEDX Talk (July, 2016)
- Mustard Seed Associates (Andy Wade)
- New Changemakers: Join the Changemaking Celebration! (Tom Sine)
- NorthWest Earth Institute‘s Eco-Challenge 2016 // latest discussion course ebook, Sustainability Works: Rethinking Business As Usual // Change Is Our Choice: Creating Climate Solutions // Voluntary Simplicity // SLW! Podcast
- The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham)
- How Eden Is a Name for the Archetype of “The Garden” and Energizes Earth-size Living(10/18)
- Was Eden Ever an Ecologically Balanced Historical Place? (10/12)
- I’m Hoping You’ll Help Distribute My Next Book (Here’s What It’s About) (10/7)
- 10 Experiences That Change Our Consciousness—How We See and Act to Keep Earth Habitable (9/24)
- Three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and Lee’s book,
Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us
- The Pastoral Center/Gospel Living (Paul Canavese) // SLW! Podcast
- PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough / Full Article Library
- NEW–Manufactured Trends: A Marketing Arsenal Weapon You Should Watch Out For
- 25 Ways to Help Save the Ocean (Or At Least Stem the Tide)
- Marketing 101 for the Postconsumer: understand how marketers are manipulating us, so we can make informed decisions about how we control our consumerism.
- Simple Enough (Bob Sitze) // SLW! Podcast
- Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs)–Time, Finances, Home-Work, Health
- Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
- Simplicity Collective – Let us be pioneers once more (Samuel Alexander)
- Simplicity Parenting (Kim John Payne): because it is a beautiful world
- Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky of Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent) // SLW! Podcast
- The Role of Slow in “No,” Letting Go, and Laziness (Brooke McAlary)–Ep. 111
- Dear Mindless, Busy Consumer and Buyer of Fleeting Joy–Ep. 110
- Rewilding, Sovereignty & the Heart of Domestication (Daniel Vitalis)–Ep. 109
- From Mindless in a Rocker to Rocking Bonsai Business (Shanna Mann)–Ep.108
- How to Get a “Plan A” Life with Bravery and Bravado (Warren Talbot)–Ep.107
- TreeHugger: Finding a Greener Future
- For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! blog.
- Upcoming Alternate Celebrations: Sept.-Dec.
- The Ugly Food Project — SLW! Podcast Episodes #77 – Fighting for Clean Water & #76 – Celebrating Ugly Food — Exploring the intersection of faith, food and water in a time of drought — speakers, film, music, worship, fun! + Ugly Food Banquet, Bethel Lutheran Church (ELCA), Templeton, CA, Pastor Amy Beveridge and guest speakers
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // Collaborators & Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media, including links
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index. Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*IMAGE: “From Egos to Eden” book cover, courtesy of Jubilee OneEarth Economics
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 // (847) 690-9410 // email@example.com
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog each week.