Simple Living Works! Weekly Digest
Posted December 15, 2016on:
Simple Living Works! Weekly Digest
Dec. 15, 2016
In This Issue:
- SLW! Podcast #83 —WHOSE Birthday? — Christmas Season-Epiphany //
- Submit to WHOSE Birthday? #28 // How to Produce Your Own Edition
- Our Simpler Living Weekly Daily Nudge // Easy-to-share for Dec.
- Relish These Responsible Celebrating QUOTES // ART //
- What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
What’s NOW with SLW!
- New Year’s Resolution: I will focus on what I CAN change. I will focus on voluntary simplicity, my choices to challenge consumerism, live justly and celebrate responsibly.
- SLW! Podcast #83 —WHOSE Birthday? annual Advent/Christmas resource for individuals, families, congregations [review #80, #81, #82] // Text from legacy issue #20, featuring Shane Claiborne, Tony Campolo, John and Peter Marty and many others.
- Advent: Since Christmas is on a Sunday this year, Advent started as early as ever, Nov. 27.
- See article about “Whose Birthday?” in fall edition of the national publication for ELCA leaders, Seeds for the Parish, p. 7.
- Want to Contribute to WHOSE Birthday? #28 for 2016: An Advent and Christmas Resource for Families, Individuals and Churches. Submission Guidelines Whose Birthday? is for your personal inspiration, community education and sharing. This online-only edition is a work-in-progress. You can still submit ART or an ARTICLE. Although this resource is not available in print, you may make all the copies you choose. It is covered by Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license. Guidelines for a customized, DIY, electronic or paper edition drawn from articles and art of your choice.
- Alternatives’ Advent/Christmas/Epiphany Resource Index
- Our Daily Simpler Living Nudge
- What Is The NUDGE? / How It Works / How to GET It – Subscribe by sending NUDGE to SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com. / How to SHARE It / More About Holidays
- September: Non-conform Freely
- October: Sustenance
- November // Week 1: More Celebrating || Week 2: Preparations || Week 3: Unplug the Christmas Machine ||Week 4: Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?
- December: Responsible Celebrating (Advent) Week 1: Ten Tips for a Simpler, More Meaningful Christmas, #1-6 || Week 2: 10 Tips, #7-8 || Week 3: 10 Tips, #9-10+ || Week 4: Christmas, Kwanzaa, Holy Innocents
- New SLW! Site Search Engine on Home Page Window #4
- Current activities of the Chief Activist
- SLW! Blog Index | SLW! Podcast Index
- SUBSCRIBE to SLW! Podcast for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Subscribe to SLW! Blog. Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – DEC. // JAN.
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
- Early 2017 SLW! Podcast guests: Renowned Biblical scholar Walter Brueggemann on his new book Money & Possessions; Hazel Henderson, founder, Ethical Markets Media, and Series Creator and Co-Executive Producer of its TV series, also author and syndicated columnist.
What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
I gladly pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn’t read them all. Choose FIVE links — including SLW! — to investigate.
- Advent Conspiracy: video, family guide and Advent calendar, Sunday School curriculum, Advent sermon outline // SLW! Podcast
- Becoming Minimalist (Joshua Becker)
- Center for a New American Dream: Kids Unbranded Action Kit
- Why the Elf on the Shelf Is Not Welcome in My House: tips to help parents avoid the “slippery slope” of this popular Christmas tradition.
- Christmas 2016: Not Made in China: After the unexpected loss of a family member, one New Dreamer found meaning in finding and creating presents that reflect the true value of Christmas and family.
- Hope for a New(er) Dream
- Down-to-the Wire Gift Ideas: Skip the stores and check out More Fun, Less Stuff Holiday Gift Catalog, filled with hundreds of meaningful gift ideas designed to strengthen relationships without breaking the bank. Also, use free Printable Coupon Book to give gifts of time, experience, and memories.
- The Common Good Podcast – Check out the new site.
- Ep. 78: Susan Taylor of Just Money Advisors on Relating to Money in a Toxic Culture and Parenting Children About Money
- Ep. 77: Lee Van Ham previews vol. 2 of his “Eden for the 21st Century” trilogy, entitled From Egos to Eden: Our Heroic Journey to Keep Earth Livable.
- Ep. 76: Let’s Have an Ugly Food Thanksgiving
- BONUS: 11 practical ways you can reduce food waste and save money
- Community Solutions: Founded in 1940, this non-profit organization advocates for small communities and the benefits of face-to-face relationships. Since 2003, the focus has been to provide resources for low-carbon living and to inspire collective, cooperative solutions in the face of peak energy and climate change.
- Creation Justice: CAPSULES – News and Opportunities for Christians Doing Creation Justice
- E-The Environmental Magazine
- Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) – Website, Songbooks, YouTube videos; Whole Enchi-Mama on a USB Thumb drive, Standing on the Shoulders music video, sheet music offerings // SLW! Podcast
- Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell) // Voluntary Simplicity archive // SLW! Podcast #18 // SLW! Podcast #66
- GodSpace (Christine Sine) // SLW! Podcast
- The Good Stuff—your dose of what’s working in the world from The Story of Stuff Project!
- Green Child eMagazine: Simplify for Happier, Calmer Kids
- The Homesteading Guide Daily: Exploring life off the grid.
- Jubilee Economics / Casa Jubileo (Lee Van Ham & Dan Swanson) – Back online! Check out the new site.
- There’s a Better Way to Understand Isaiah than to Think He Predicted Jesus (11/27)
- Standing with Standing Rock on Central Coast Calif. (11/23)
- Did the 2016 Election Open an Opportunity for OneEarth Jubilee? (11/17)
- Mexico Blog (English/Spanish): Chiapas Delegation
- A Living Earth Economy (David Korten – Yes! Magazine): How we can make peace with nature, realize the value of living wealth, and return to local, self-organized rule.
- Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways – Finding good homes for no longer needed items rather than just putting them in the trash // SLW! Podcast // SLW! Podcast: Lent
- Letting Go – of money, possessions, and status
- Recycling – the usual and more
Susan’s upcoming blog post will consider ways to “precycle” so there is less need to recycle.
- Time vs. Money Formula – Discerning how much is my time worth when pursuing a discount. See my formula. It may not be perfect but it’s a start.
- 0 In – 2 Out: On Being Robbed – Thoughts on having stuff stolen rather than voluntarily giving it away
- Giving Away Credit – Letting go of the urge to look important to others is a step in spiritual growth. Doesn’t come easily to me. You?
- Recycling Plastics – The usual stuff plus the more difficult to recycle plastics. Any experiences to add?
- Recycling – The Multiplier Effect – How walking around the neighborhood led me to think bigger than just my personal recycling practices. How to move from one to many.
- Recycling – Pruning Paper – I know that paper is becoming obsolete as more and more information is going digital. but when should we let go of archived papers and paper memories like photos. Scanning stuff takes time. What’s worked for you?
- Live Simply (Third Way: Celeste Kennel-Shank)
- Lutheran Peace Fellowship: Simple Living Resources // SLW! Podcast
- The Minimalists podcast (Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus). Getting us past the things so we can make room for life’s most important things — which actually aren’t things at all.
- 035: Dayton
- 034: Utah
- 033: Criticism
- NEW – Minimalism: A Documentary about the Important Things
- The Art of Letting Go: The Minimalists TEDX Talk (July, 2016)
- Mustard Seed Associates (Andy Wade)
- New Changemakers: Join the Changemaking Celebration! (Tom Sine)
- NorthWest Earth Institute‘s latest discussion course ebook, Sustainability Works: Rethinking Business As Usual // Change Is Our Choice: Creating Climate Solutions // Voluntary Simplicity // SLW! Podcast
- The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham) // SLW! Podcast
- Indians (Standing Rock and Others) Prove an Editor Wrong—and Oh So Many Others (12/7)
- The Heroic Journey That Returns Alt-Right Extremist Thinking to the Margins (11/29)
- The Haudenosaune People Impart a Saving Message (11/23)
- Three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and Lee’s book,
Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us
- The Pastoral Center/Gospel Living (Paul Canavese) // SLW! Podcast
- PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough / Full Article Library
- Better Than Black Friday
- Manufactured Trends: A Marketing Arsenal Weapon You Should Watch Out For
- 25 Ways to Help Save the Ocean (Or At Least Stem the Tide)
- Marketing 101 for the Postconsumer: understand how marketers are manipulating us, so we can make informed decisions about how we control our consumerism.
- Simple Enough (Bob Sitze) // SLW! Podcast
- Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs)–Time, Finances, Home-Work, Health
- Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
- Simplicity Collective – Let us be pioneers once more (Samuel Alexander)
- Simplicity Parenting (Kim John Payne): because it is a beautiful world
- Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky of Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent) // SLW! Podcast
- When “Being” Your Way into Action Is Better Than Thinking (Julie Gray) – Ep.115
- Death Literacy, Enoughness, and Why Life Is Long (Humaira Hamid)–Ep.114
- How to Be Social, Selective & Simple (Ryan Nicodemus)–Ep.113
- Why and How to Run an Offers and Needs Market–Ep.112
- TransitionNetwork.org: Transition Towns–A movement of communities coming together to reimagine and rebuild our world
- TreeHugger: Finding a Greener Future
- For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! blog.
- Upcoming Alternate Celebrations: Sept.-Dec. // Jan.-April
- Post-Election Emergency/Disaster Preparedness and Survival Guide
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // Collaborators & Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media, including links
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index. Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*IMAGE: Spirit of Simplicity #3-A316
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 // (847) 690-9410 // email@example.com
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog each week.