Simple Living Works! eNews
Posted February 1, 2017on:
Simple Living Works! eNews
#65, Feb., 2017
In This Issue:
- I Buy Blue //
- Bye-bye “Alternate Celebrations” //
- Simple Living SANITY //
- SLW! Podcast #86 –John “Affluenza” de Graaf on Threats to Our National Parks //
- Our Simpler Living Daily Nudge // Easy-to-share for FEB. //
- What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
What’s NOW with SLW!
- We’ve cancelled our vacation to Alaska and plan to see the fall colors in Vermont instead. More information about “I Buy Blue. Won’t You Too?“
Bye-bye “Alternate Celebrations.” Simple Living Works! was originally called Alternatives. Since 1973, Alternatives has produced resources to help people of faith “challenge consumerism, live justly and celebrate responsibly.” To celebrate responsibly, we provided “alternate celebrations,” ways to celebrate holidays (Christmas, Easter, etc.) and rites of passage (birthday, anniversaries, etc.) that are much less commercial and build relationships.
Now that the new regressive administration in DC is using “alternative facts” to distinguish themselves from the real facts, we may have to change “alternate celebrations” to something else to keep from being associated with a web of lies and deception. Using the Fifth Life Standard of “Living More with Less,” we will use “Non-Conform-Freely-Celebrations” for the time being. We hope that we can return to Alternate Celebrations when the cult of fake news is banished.
- Simple Living Sanity: Although much of American culture already stands in opposition to a simpler lifestyle, the prospects of the new national administration and the predominance of regressive state administrations promise to put any progress on the Five Life Standards into reverse. We offer weekly Suggestions. READ MORE
- SLW! Podcast #86 — John de Graaf, producer of the famous “Affluenza” films and author of several books, including links to his recent articles.
- SLW! Podcast #84-85 —Renowned Biblical scholar Walter Brueggemann on Money & Possessions // His book’s Preface, Foreword, Introduction (free online) — essential reading!
- Our Daily Simpler Living Nudge
- What Is The NUDGE? / How It Works / How to GET It – Subscribe by sending NUDGE to SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com. / How to SHARE It / More About Holidays
- January: Life Principles of Voluntary Simplicity
- February: Celebrating More Responsibly — Week 1: Music/Worship || Week 2: Preparing for Lent, Easter and Other Spring Festivals || Week 3: Rites of Passage || Week 4: What Is ‘Enough’?
- New Simpler Formats for 2017 — The monthly SLW! eNews and Weekly Digest will feature only the latest posts from colleague organizations. The complete Monthly Digest only on the SLW! site will be updated at least once a week. The Weekly Nudge will feature only offering from SLW! Both the Weekly Digest and Weekly Nudge come as part of your free subscription to SLW! Blog. The Daily Nudge comes by email (send NUDGE to SimpleLivingworks@yahoo.com) or by Twitter @GeraldIversen. Choose the options that work for you.
- SLW! Blog Index | SLW! Podcast Index
- SUBSCRIBE to SLW! Podcast for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Subscribe to SLW! Blog. Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – FEB.
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
- Early 2017 SLW! Podcast guests: Hazel Henderson, founder, Ethical Markets Media, and Series Creator and Co-Executive Producer of its TV series, also author and syndicated columnist; Cecile Andrews, author and community organizer; and Nancy Pearlman, producer of EcoNews.
What Others Are Doing – So Much Help! – Latest Posts
I gladly pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn’t read them all. Choose FIVE links — including SLW! — to investigate. COMPLETE LIST
- Becoming Minimalist (Joshua Becker)
- Center for a New American Dream
- The Common Good Podcast – Check out the new site.
- NEW — Earth Island Journal (Earth Island Institute): Latest News // Current Issue
- Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) Made for These Times — I am part of a group of women here in VA loosely calling themselves “Ladies Sewing and Resistance Society.” About 25 of us gathered, with 5 sewing machines, a videographer and an organizer to make over 50 hats for the Women’s March on Washington, or Million Woman March (same thing, many names.) All to resist and counter the anti-woman, bullying, hate filled policies of the new administration. Many of our women will be in DC for the march. I was inspired to write a song, simple to learn, repeat and march to, for our sewing session. It caught on. Here is:
- Lead sheet with melody line (downloadable PDF @ http://www.earthmama.org/)
- Full lyrics (downloadable PDF @ http://www.earthmama.org/)
- video (1 minute) of singing and sewing https://youtu.be/NQjZ4eeVTWs
- video (6 minute) including wonderful short interviews with sewers explaining WHY they will be marching, some for the first time ever in this kind of activism. Song plays the last minute. https://youtu.be/IJiNZcYc428
Feel free to share any of these if you know folks going to marches or would just be interested! We know of several groups who will be singing this, with hopes that it will inspire, co-ordinate and propel the marchers forward!
- Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell) // Voluntary Simplicity archive // SLW! Podcast #18 // SLW! Podcast #66
- Jubilee Economics / Casa Jubileo (new site) — Women’s March Central Coast Calif.: 1st hand account + pics
- Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways
- The Minimalists podcast (Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus). Getting us past the things so we can make room for life’s most important things — which actually aren’t things at all.
- The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham) // SLW! Podcast
- PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough / Full Article Library
- Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs)–Time, Finances, Home-Work, Health
- Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
- Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky of Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent) // SLW! Podcast
- The Not So Big Way to Have Useful Beauty Every Day (Sarah Susanka), Ep. 117
- For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! blog.
- Upcoming Alternate Celebrations: Jan.-April
- Post-Election Emergency/Disaster Preparedness and Survival Guide
- Worth Revisiting: Taxing Negatives
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // Collaborators & Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index. Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*IMAGE: John de Graaf
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011.