Simpler Living Weekly Nudge
Posted March 19, 2017on:
Simpler Living Weekly Nudge
March 19, 2017
In This Issue:
- Simple Living SANITY Suggestion #9 //
- SLW! Podcast #89 — A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World from Northwest Earth Institute //
- Lent //
- Women’s History Month //
- Banishing “Fake News” #4 //
- Worth Revisiting: Waging Peace at Tax Time
- Our Simpler Living Daily Nudge Easy-to-share for MARCH
What’s NOW with SLW!
- SLW! Podcast #89 — A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World from Northwest Earth Institute
- Pastor Milo Thornberry, leader of Alternatives, 1980-89, died recently. Remember his many contributions in the history of the organization, our meeting (Post #181), his writings for Advent/Christmas and for Lent/Easter. [Scan the author column in these indices.]
- Simple Living SANITY Suggestion #9. Send a letter to a regressive governor, state legislator, member of US Congress, anonymously is OK, to express your concern. Sample-> More on ‘I Buy Blue’ and a list of states by color. // READ MORE
- Reader Response to “I Buy Blue. How About You?” and My Reply
- Banishing Fake News: Tip #4. Some ‘news’ is not really news. Fox News, for example, might more appropriately be called ‘Fox so-called News’ or ‘Faux News.’ It is propaganda disguised as ‘fair and balanced.’ I had to make several attempts to get it ‘banished’ from the lobby of our local senior center. It was making a friendly meeting place a toxic environment. Now the TV there plays old-timey TV shows, maybe not the greatest choice, but vastly superior to Faux News. READ MORE
- Lent: SLW! Podcast Episodes #13 & 39; Resources: Who’s Risen from the Dead, Anyway?
- Our Daily Simpler Living Nudge
- What It Is / How It Works / How to GET It – Subscribe by sending NUDGE to SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com. / How to SHARE It
- January: Life Standards of Voluntary Simplicity
- February: Celebrating More Responsibly
- March: Global Justice—Week 1: Language || Week 2: Hunger & Homelessness || Week 3: Peace/Non-Violence || Week 4: Advocacy/Boycotts
- SLW! Blog Index | SLW! Podcast Index
- SUBSCRIBE to SLW! Podcast for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Subscribe to SLW! Blog. Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
- Simpler Living Daily Calendar – MARCH
- Non-Conform-Freely Celebrations: Jan.-April
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
- Early 2017 SLW! Podcast guests: Hazel Henderson, founder, Ethical Markets Media, and Series Creator and Co-Executive Producer of its TV series, also author and syndicated columnist
What Others Are Doing – So Much Help! – Latest Posts
I gladly pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn’t read them all. Choose just FIVE links to investigate. COMPLETE LIST (Monthly Digest)
- Especially Noteworthy — Budgets Are Moral Documents from Eco-Justice Notes (3/17)
- For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! Weekly Digest or Monthly Digest.
- SLW! Podcast Ep. 88: Nancy Pearlman, Producer of EcoNews and much more!
- SLW! Podcast #87 —Cecile Andrews, author and community organizer works with Millennials and Minimalists to build resistance to regressive government.
- Banishing Fake News BONUS: The Religious Origins of Fake News and Alternative Facts
- New Simpler Formats for 2017 — The monthly SLW! eNews and Weekly Digest will feature only the latest posts from colleague organizations. The complete Monthly Digest only on the SLW! site will be updated at least once a week. The Weekly Nudge will feature only offering from SLW! Both the Weekly Digest and Weekly Nudge come as part of your free subscription to SLW! Blog. The Daily Nudge comes by email (send NUDGE to SimpleLivingworks@yahoo.com) or by Twitter @GeraldIversen. Choose the options that work for you.
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // Collaborators & Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media
- Dear Chief SLW! Activist Jerry:
Thank you for what you chose to do in your retirement, and inspiring me in mine.
I just forwarded SLW! eNews to a young friend of mine with this note: “Jerry Iversen does just what I like to do. He sends links to his friends…though on a much bigger scale!” YES, She had just asked me what fake news was, and here’s info on it in your eNews. You are role modeling what I see as untapped potential in our largely youth-oriented society: retirees being super activists through communications!!!
Thank you for writing so accessibly. I’ve sent your info to friends who are aged 30’s to 80’s, faith-based and not, city and country around the U.S. I love how SLW! is down-to-earth, practical, action-oriented, stance-taking and strong yet not strident.
Thank you for creating your online community which is a movement as well. Simple Living Works! offers such a welcome anchoring effect in these turbulent times with the new administration and its policies. There is always something refreshing in SLW! to open my mind and heart to new possibilities, and to share it around.
Lily R. Wu
New York City
a.k.a. a Lutheran Peace Fellowship Issues Communicator
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index. Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011.