Simple Living Works! Weekly – Submit to “Whose Birthday?” + Fall Resources
Posted August 23, 2015on:
You’re welcome to contribute to our most widely-read resource, “Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?” #27 for Advent/Christmas. Though it’s no longer printed on paper, it is published online since 2012.
All past editions are still available on the SLW! site. The articles are carefully indexed.
The current edition will be updated as new material arrives, so send ideas and items anytime. Prepare something now while it’s really on your mind. An item may be new or not, original or not. (If it’s by someone else, include a complete description of the source.) We prefer items of 250 words or fewer (one page double-spaced). We reserve the right to edit.
- ART (line drawing, photo) that depicts the tension between faith and culture, especially at Christmas.
- PERSONAL EXPERIENCES (especially intergenerational ones) related to simplifying Christmas or finding meaning and happiness in relationships instead of stuff.
- FAMILY ACTIVITIES, rituals or worshipful ceremonies for Advent, Christmas or Epiphany.
We reach many through our website, blogs, podcast and other media. Sorry, we cannot pay for any submissions. All of our original resources are free of charge.
Please send your submissions by email to SimpleLivingWorks AT yahoo.com. If you need to send something by US mail, email us and we’ll send you a mailing address.
What’s NOW with SLW!
- SLW! Podcast Episode 51 :: Steve Beumer, White House ‘Champion of Change’ Honoree: People of Faith Acting for the Climate
- So Much Help! I’m glad to pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. See “What Other are Doing” below. You needn’t read them all. Choose FIVE links — including SLW! — to investigate.
- FALL FESTIVAL RESOURCES
- UNPLUG the Christmas Machine Workshop
- How to Host an Alternative Gift Fair
- Planning an Alternative Christmas Workshop
- How to Organize an Alternative Christmas Community Festival
- Resource Index: Advent/Christmas
- Feeling Bullied by Consumo? Ask Slim.
- SUBSCRIBE to SLW! Podcast for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Subscribe to SLW! Blog. Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – AUGUST
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
What Others Are Doing
- Becoming Minimalist (Joshua Becker)
- Influence. You Already Have It. (8/26)
- Inspiring Simplicity; Weekend Reads (8/15)
- Understanding the Diderot Effect (and How To Overcome It) (8/13)
- Greater Riches Than Wealth (8/5)
- Inspiring Simplicity. Weekend Reads (8/1)
- How Giving Away 1,000 Books Made Me Love Reading Again (7/31)
- The Example We Set (7/28)
- Elevate the Important (7/23)
- 9 New Simple Living Blogs I Highly Recommend (7/17)
- The Pieces We Allow in Our Lives (7/10)
- Do Less and Live More (7/6)
- 6 Questions to Discover Your Most Meaningful Pursuits
- Center for a New American Dream: Download NEW Kids Unbranded Action Kit (7/14)
- The Common Good Podcast
- Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) — Website, Songbooks, Whole Enchi-Mama on a USB Thumbdrive, Standing on the Shoulders music video, sheet music offerings — all NEW
- Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell)
- GodSpace (Christine Sine)
- The Homesteading Guide Daily: Homesteading adventurer exploring life off the grid. Inviting you to share my journey and the friends I meet as we help you with your homesteading endeavors.
- Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways // TMI-Too Much Information:
- Mustard Seed Associates (Andy Wade)
- Zero-Sum Relationships (7/20)
- The Spirituality of Scarcity and Abundance
- The Neighborhood Church as Fungus
- NorthWest Earth Institute‘s newest discussion course ebook, Change Is Our Choice: Creating Climate Solutions
- The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham)
- Three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and Lee’s book,
Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us
- The Common Good Podcast, episode 42
- Lee’s new Slide Show
- PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough
- Simple Enough (Bob Sitze)
- “Simple Words: Hormesis” (8/25)
- “Simplicity’s Children: Nothing New” (8/22)
- “TV Glut” (8/19)
- “Relishing the Small Stuff” (8/16)
- “The No-Program Church” (8/14)
- “The Simpler Pastor” (8/12)
“Simple Things: Garden Tools” (8/10)
- “Simple Upgrades?” (8/7)
- “Quoditian” (8/4)
- “Talking with Jesus” (8/1)
- “A Redeeming Life” (7/29)
- “Simplicity’s Children: The Unstructured Summer” (7/26)
- “Mansplaining” (7/23)
- Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs)
- Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
- Value of Simple / Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky): Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent — How to Get Better at Asking for (and Giving) Anything
- For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! blog.
Upcoming Alternate Celebrations
- SLW! Podcast: Kristina’s “Alternative” Ph.D. Dissertation
- SLW! eNews: DIY “Whose Birthday?”
- SLW! Podcast #50 Joyce “Earth Mama” Rouse — Read her bio, philosophy and resources at her NEW Website. Also, Songbooks, Whole Enchi-Mama on a USB Thumbdrive, Standing on the Shoulders music video, sheet music offerings — all NEW
- EarthDay.fm is a 24 hour internet station that plays Eco or Earth music—and has listeners in over 120 countries. Joyce was one of the founding members of the board of MUSE (Musicians United to Sustain the Environment).
- Her music is streamed in many places—Spotify, Amazon Cloud Drive, iTunes Radio and iTunes Match, XBox, Rhapsody, EarthDay.fm and more streaming and internet radio. Listen to some full cuts here.
- Her “Enough Is as Good as a Feast” is in Alternatives’ Stories and Songs of Simple Living — introduction, audio and lyrics.
- SLW! Podcast #49: Laird Schaub, Exec. Sec., Fellowship for Intentional Community, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting cooperative culture. Intentional communities are pioneers in sustainable living, personal and cultural transformation, and peaceful social evolution, including ecovillages, cohousing, residential land trusts, income-sharing communes, student co-ops, spiritual communities, and other projects where people live together on the basis of explicit common values. Since its beginning in 1987, FIC works in a number of ways, including the Communities Directory, Communities magazine, Community Bookstore, community-focused Events, Classifieds, the Blog, and more. FIC’s passion is promoting cooperative culture and sustainable living. That means providing the information and inspiration for those seeking community, forming communities, struggling with the challenges of community, and those who want to develop a greater sense of community where they are.
- SLW! Podcast #48: Mike Mercer, Exec. Dir., Northwest Earth Institute || NWEI on Wikipedia // NorthWest Earth Institute‘s newest discussion course ebook, Change Is Our Choice: Creating Climate Solutions, is a brand new five-session discussion course on climate action that will help your community or organization to do just that – take action to increase resilience and mitigate the impacts of climate change. Presented in an interactive ebook, this new discussion course experience integrates video, audio and printed content with action plans.
- SLW! Podcast #47: Exec. Dir. Susan Stephenson, Interfaith Power and Light
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // New Collaborators and Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media, including links
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent). SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast. Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback@SimpleLivingWorks.org [or SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com or SimpleLivingWorks2@gmail.com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*IMAGE: “They offered him gifts of goldcards, fashion-sense and moolah.” -Matt. 2:11 (New Consumer Version) from WHOSE Birthday? #15
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.