Phil Petrie and John de Graaf Podcasts — SLW! eNews
Posted December 31, 2015on:
Simple Living Works! eNews
#52 – Jan., 2016
In This Issue:
- SLW! Podcasts: Phil Petrie, John de Graaf
- Epiphany: Not Ordinary Time!
- New SLW! Blog Index
- DIY Who’s Risen from the Dead, Anyway?
- Worth Revisiting – Epiphany
- Free Resources – Lent/Easter and NEXT Fall
- What Others Are Doing – So much help!
* * *
Note of Encouragement
Jerry, I want to thank you for your e-newsletters. They are just overflowing with food for thought and action ideas for doing and sharing. This time around, I’m getting a good dose of the ever-talented and prolific Bob Sitze… was introduced to Clark Howard while seeking not to be bullied by Consumo… and even learned how to minimize my wardrobe!
I always enjoy reading popular writing that helps people with getting on responsibly with our lives. It is also a good outreach tool. Friends who are not church-related are pleasantly surprised when they find out how practical, easy to read and even fun a faith-based community can be, through Simple Living Works information.
Lily R. Wu
Formerly of the Lutheran Peace Fellowship Board of Directors, and still an occasional Editorial Volunteer
* * *
What’s NOW with SLW!
- SLW! Podcast: Phil Petrie, artist and leader of St. Paul’s Simple Living group
- I’m pleased to be quoted in
“Simply Christmas: Sustainable ways to observe, cherish the season”
in the Dec. issue of The Lutheran Magazine.
DIY Who’s Risen from the Dead, Anyway? Click here for tips to CREATE, PRODUCE, DISTRIBUTE and PROMOTE your do-it-yourself version.
- Food Swap Game by Stan Friend
- You Don’t Have to Green Up Alone! by Steven L. Beumer // SLW! Podcast Episode 51 :: Steve Beumer, White House ‘Champion of Change’ Honoree
- FREE RESOURCES (online)
- SUBSCRIBE to SLW! Podcast for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Subscribe to SLW! Blog. Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – JANUARY
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
I’m glad to pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn’t read them all. Choose FIVE links — including SLW! — to investigate.
- Becoming Minimalist (Joshua Becker)
- The Uncluttered Course: Own Less. Live More. And Discover the Life You Want. (1/1)
- Becoming Minimalist Top Posts of 2015 (12/28)
- The Stories of Generosity We Ought to Champion (12/21)
- Inspiring Simplicity Reads (12/19)
- 3 Steps to a More Peaceful Home in the New Year (12/16)
- Inspiring Simplicity Reads (12/16)
- Hope Effect Update and a Birthday Wish (12/11)
- 7 Ways to Avoid Overspending this Holiday Season (12/9)
- Health and Fitness, the Minimalist Way (12/2)
- Give Your Christmas to Someone Who Needs It (11/27)
- But What Do You Want to be Thanked For? (11/23)
- 5 Tips for a More Intentional Holiday Season (11/16)
- A New, Minimalist Economy (10/26)
- Center for a New American Dream: Kids Unbranded Action Kit
- The Common Good Podcast
- Episode 67 :: Raising Up the Common Good & Living More Simply—Two Components in Earth-Size Living
- Episode 66 :: Dan Swanson: What’s Trending in Jubilee’s Paradigm Shifting Mission (12/1)
- Episode 65 :: Mel Lions: Why Food Choices Are Our Best Portal to Making Differences Ecologically (11/1)
- Episode 64 :: Paul Canavese: Why Pope Francis’ Encyclical and Visit Matter (10/1)
- Creation Justice: CAPSULES– News and Opportunities for Christians Doing Creation Justice, Fall 2015
- Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) — Website, Songbooks, Whole Enchi-Mama on a USB Thumbdrive, Standing on the Shoulders music video, sheet music offerings — all NEW
- Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell) // Voluntary Simplicity archive
- GodSpace (Christine Sine)
- The Homesteading Guide Daily: Homesteading adventurer exploring life off the grid. Inviting you to share my journey and the friends I meet as we help you with your homesteading endeavors.
- Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways – Finding good homes for no longer needed items rather than just putting them in the trash // TMI-Too Much Information
- Live Simply (Third Way: Celeste Kennel-Shank)
- Mustard Seed Associates (Andy Wade)
- New Celebrations (Clyde Griffith)
- NorthWest Earth Institute‘s newest discussion course ebook, Change Is Our Choice: Creating Climate Solutions
- The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham)
- Solstice, a Healing Day: Rebalancing What Has Gone Too Far (12/23)
- Three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and Lee’s book,
Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us
- The Common Good Podcast, episode 42
- Lee’s new Slide Show
- The Pastoral Center/Gospel Living (Paul Canavese)
- PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough
- Simple Enough (Bob Sitze)
- “Terror Management” (1/3)
- “I Don’t Care That I Don’t Know” (12/29)
- “The Holy Refugees” (12/26)
- “Simple Words: Gobbledygook” (12/20)
- “A Little Bit Mystical” (12/17)
- “Begging Your Pardon” (12/14)
- “Dumbing Down Your Children” (12/11)
- “Too Many Anomalies” (12/8)
- “Simple Congregations: Desperation That’s Tangible” (12/2)
- Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs)
- Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
- Latest edition
- Simplicity Collective – Let us be pioneers once more (Samuel Alexander)
- Simplicity Parenting (Kim John Payne): because it is a beautiful world
- Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky of Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent)
- 5 Secrets to Quick and Consistent Mindfulness with Toku McCree – Ep. 89
- Why Simplicity Helps You Reach Your Life’s Purpose(s) with Tsh Oxenreider – Ep.88
- How Scott Dinsmore’s Connections, Passion, and Work Changed Our World (a Tribute) Ep.87
- How 241 Post It Notes, Candid Stories, and Huggr Power Changed 55 Folks (#SimpleREV 2015 Recap) – Ep.86
- For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! blog.
Upcoming Alternate Celebrations
- SLW! Podcast Ep. 55: David E. Shi, educator, speaker, consultant, author of the classic “The Simple Life: Plain Living and High Thinking in American Culture” Complete Preview
- SLW! Podcast #54: Paul Canavese on Pope Francis — How to Keep His Momentum Building
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // New Collaborators and Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media, including links
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*IMAGE: Phil Petrie
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 // (847) 690-9410 // email@example.com
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog each week.