Simple Living Works! Weekly
Posted January 23, 2016on:
Simple Living Works! Weekly Digest
Jan. 22, 2016
In This Issue:
- Latest SLW! Podcast: John de Graaf
- Epiphany: Not Ordinary Time!
- DIY Who’s Risen from the Dead, Anyway?
- Worth Revisiting – Valentine’s Day
- Free Resources – Lent/Easter
- What Others Are Doing – So much help!
* * *
What’s NOW with SLW!
- SLW! Podcast #61: John de Graaf, producer of Affluenza and Escape from Affluenza videos and co-author of Affluenza and What’s the Economy For, Anyway?; Champion of Simple Living
- SLW! Podcast #60: Phil Petrie, artist and leader of St. Paul’s Simple Living group
DIY Who’s Risen from the Dead, Anyway? Click here for tips to CREATE, PRODUCE, DISTRIBUTE and PROMOTE your do-it-yourself version for Lent/Easter.
- FREE RESOURCES (online)
- SUBSCRIBE to SLW! Podcast for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Subscribe to SLW! Blog. Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – JANUARY | FEBRUARY
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
SLW! Podcast #62: Tim Kasser, author of The High Price of Materialism (complete preview)
What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
I’m glad to pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn’t read them all. Choose FIVE links — including SLW! — to investigate.
- Becoming Minimalist (Joshua Becker)
- Inspiring Simplicity Reads (1/23)
- The Cost of Convenience (1/19)
- Inspiring Simplicity Reads (1/9)
- The Uncluttered Course: Own Less. Live More. And Discover the Life You Want. (1/1)
- Becoming Minimalist Top Posts of 2015 (12/28)
- The Stories of Generosity We Ought to Champion (12/21)
- 3 Steps to a More Peaceful Home in the New Year (12/16)
- Health and Fitness, the Minimalist Way (12/2)
- A New, Minimalist Economy (10/26)
- Center for a New American Dream: Kids Unbranded Action Kit
- The Common Good Podcast
- Episode 67 :: Raising Up the Common Good & Living More Simply—Two Components in Earth-Size Living (1/1)
- Episode 66 :: Dan Swanson: What’s Trending in Jubilee’s Paradigm Shifting Mission (12/1)
- Creation Justice: CAPSULES– News and Opportunities for Christians Doing Creation Justice
- Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) — Website, Songbooks, Whole Enchi-Mama on a USB Thumbdrive, Standing on the Shoulders music video, sheet music offerings
- Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell) // Voluntary Simplicity archive
- GodSpace (Christine Sine)
- The Homesteading Guide Daily: Homesteading adventurer exploring life off the grid. Inviting you to share my journey and the friends I meet as we help you with your homesteading endeavors.
- Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways – Finding good homes for no longer needed items rather than just putting them in the trash // TMI-Too Much Information
- Live Simply (Third Way: Celeste Kennel-Shank)
- NEW – The Minimalists podcast (Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus). Minimalism is the thing that gets us past the things so we can make room for life’s most important things — which actually aren’t things at all.
- 003: Children (1/16)
- 002: How do minimalists handle social media and technology (1/9)
- 001: How can you gradually declutter your life? (1/2)
- 000: Who are The Minimalists? (12/20)
- Mustard Seed Associates (Andy Wade)
- New Celebrations (Clyde Griffith)
- NorthWest Earth Institute‘s newest discussion course ebook, Change Is Our Choice: Creating Climate Solutions
- The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham)
- Solstice, a Healing Day: Rebalancing What Has Gone Too Far (12/23)
- Three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and Lee’s book,
Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us
- The Common Good Podcast, episode 42
- Lee’s new Slide Show
- The Pastoral Center/Gospel Living (Paul Canavese)
- NEW–Pirate Television: Kima Cargill: The Psychology of Overeating (11/15/15) Americans are obsessed with having it all — cars, homes, fun, alcohol, and food. Researcher Kima Cargill lays bare this “culture of consumerism” and how it’s led to extreme rates of overeating (and subsequent health problems). She explains the ways depression and loneliness lead to the need to consume things, how lack of accurate nutritional facts drives inadvisable food choices, and the relationship between pharmaceutical companies and the food industry. By explaining the psychology behind overeating, she’ll also offer solutions to counter what Marion Nestle calls “the many moral, political, economic, and social imperatives to consume.”
- PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough
- Simple Enough (Bob Sitze)
“Simple Words: Hucksters” (1/27)
“If you sense something, say something” (1/24)
“Whose birthday WAS it, anyway? (1/21)
- “Simple Congregations: Your Verbal Identity,” Part 1 (1/15), Part 2 (1/18)
- “Simple words: Fiasco” (1/12)
- “Simple Things: Locks and Other Fasteners” (1/9)
- “The Great Disruption” (1/6)
- “Terror Management” (1/3)
- “I Don’t Care That I Don’t Know” (12/29)
- “The Holy Refugees” (12/26)
- “Simple Words: Gobbledygook” (12/20)
- “A Little Bit Mystical” (12/17)
- Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs)
- Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
- Latest edition
- Simplicity Collective – Let us be pioneers once more (Samuel Alexander)
- Simplicity Parenting (Kim John Payne): because it is a beautiful world
- Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky of Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent)
- How to Be Alive and Embrace Your Personal Power with Colin Beavan – Ep.90
- 5 Secrets to Quick and Consistent Mindfulness with Toku McCree – Ep. 89
- Why Simplicity Helps You Reach Your Life’s Purpose(s) with Tsh Oxenreider – Ep.88
- How Scott Dinsmore’s Connections, Passion, and Work Changed Our World (a Tribute) Ep.87
- For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! blog.
- Upcoming Alternate Celebrations
- SLW! Podcast Ep. 55: David E. Shi, educator, speaker, consultant, author of the classic “The Simple Life: Plain Living and High Thinking in American Culture” Complete Preview
- SLW! Podcast Ep. 54: Paul Canavese on Pope Francis — How to Keep His Momentum Building
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // New Collaborators and Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media, including links
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*IMAGE: Latest book by John de Graaf
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 // (847) 690-9410 // firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog each week.