Simple Living Works! Weekly Digest
Posted February 15, 2017on:
Feb. 15, 2017
In This Issue:
- Review of Lee Van Ham’s new “From Egos to Eden” //
- Banishing “Fake News” //
- Simpler Living SANITY //
- SLW! Podcast #87 — Cecile Andrews, author and community organizer, works with Millennials and Minimalists //
- I Buy Blue //
- Our Simpler Living Daily Nudge // Easy-to-share for FEB. //
- What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
What’s NOW with SLW!
- SLW! Podcast #87 — Cecile Andrews, author and community organizer, works with Millennials and Minimalists to build resistance to regressive government
- Review of Lee Van Ham’s new “From Egos to Eden: Our Heroic Journey to Keep Earth Livable,” vol. 2 of the “Eden for the 21st Century” Trilogy. Valentine’s Day carried added meaning because colleague Lee’s new book became available on Amazon in print and ebook and other locations where you can get the ebook (Nook, iBooks, Kobo). He says, “Hope the book stirs you to write a review, to converse with others, and to help me tell better than I currently do a story for OneEarth living. Wanting to show Earth more love!”
- Banishing Fake News: I blogged recently that we were changing our long-standing ‘Alternate Celebrations’ to ‘Non-Conform-Freely Celebrations’ because the terms ‘alternate’ and ‘alternative’ had been compromised by the new buzz words ‘alternative facts’ in DC. Larry Trover asked, ‘Do you have any ideas for banishing fake news without abridging freedom of speech and freedom of the press?’ Here’s a dozen. READ MORE
- We’ve cancelled our vacation to Alaska and plan to see the fall colors in Vermont instead. More information about “I Buy Blue. Won’t You Too?“
- Simpler Living Sanity: Weekly Suggestions. READ MORE
- Our Daily Simpler Living Nudge
- What Is The NUDGE? / How It Works / How to GET It – Subscribe by sending NUDGE to SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com. / How to SHARE It / More About Holidays
- January: Life Principles of Voluntary Simplicity
- February: Celebrating More Responsibly — Week 1: Music/Worship || Week 2: Preparing for Lent, Easter and Other Spring Festivals || Week 3: Rites of Passage || Week 4: What Is ‘Enough’?
- SLW! Blog Index | SLW! Podcast Index
- SUBSCRIBE to SLW! Podcast for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Subscribe to SLW! Blog. Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – FEB.
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
- Early 2017 SLW! Podcast guests: Hazel Henderson, founder, Ethical Markets Media, and Series Creator and Co-Executive Producer of its TV series, also author and syndicated columnist; Nancy Pearlman, producer of EcoNews; Northwest Earth Institute‘s new course on voluntary simplicity.
What Others Are Doing – So Much Help! – Latest Posts
I gladly pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn’t read them all. Choose FIVE links — including SLW! — to investigate. COMPLETE LIST (Monthly Digest)
- Becoming Minimalist (Joshua Becker)
- Center for a New American Dream
- The Common Good Podcast – Check out the new site.
- Ep. 80: Walter Brueggemann on the Primal Power of Money & Possessions in Our Lives (2/1)
- NEW — Earth Island Journal (Earth Island Institute): Latest News // Current Issue
- Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) Made for These Times — “Ladies Sewing and Resistance Society” counters the anti-woman, bullying, hate filled policies of the new administration. I was inspired to write a song, simple to learn, repeat and march to, for our sewing session. It caught on. Here is:
- Lead sheet with melody line (downloadable PDF @ http://www.earthmama.org/)
- Full lyrics (downloadable PDF @ http://www.earthmama.org/)
- video (1 minute) of singing and sewing https://youtu.be/NQjZ4eeVTWs
- video (6 minute) including wonderful short interviews with sewers explaining WHY they will be marching, some for the first time ever in this kind of activism. Song plays the last minute. https://youtu.be/IJiNZcYc428
- Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell) // Voluntary Simplicity archive // SLW! Podcast #18 // SLW! Podcast #66
- Jubilee Economics / Casa Jubileo (new site) — Women’s Central Coast Calif. Marches: 1st hand accounts + pics
- Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways
- The Minimalists podcast (Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus). Getting us past the things so we can make room for life’s most important things — which actually aren’t things at all.
- The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham) // SLW! Podcast
- PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough / Full Article Library
- Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs)–Time, Finances, Home-Work, Health
- Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
- Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky of Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent) // SLW! Podcast
- The Not So Big Way to Have Useful Beauty Every Day (Sarah Susanka)
- For links to earlier entries, check the previous SLW! blog.
- Upcoming Alternate Celebrations: Jan.-April
- Post-Election Emergency/Disaster Preparedness and Survival Guide
- SLW! Podcast #86 — John de Graaf, producer of the famous “Affluenza” films and author of several books, including links to his recent articles.
- SLW! Podcast #84-85 —Renowned Biblical scholar Walter Brueggemann on Money & Possessions // His book’s Preface, Foreword, Introduction (free online) — essential reading!
- New Simpler Formats for 2017 — The monthly SLW! eNews and Weekly Digest will feature only the latest posts from colleague organizations. The complete Monthly Digest only on the SLW! site will be updated at least once a week. The Weekly Nudge will feature only offering from SLW! Both the Weekly Digest and Weekly Nudge come as part of your free subscription to SLW! Blog. The Daily Nudge comes by email (send NUDGE to SimpleLivingworks@yahoo.com) or by Twitter @GeraldIversen. Choose the options that work for you.
- Worth Revisiting: Taxing Negatives
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // Collaborators & Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index. Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*IMAGE: “From Egos to Eden” by Lee Van Ham
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011.