Simple Living Works! eNews
Posted March 1, 2017on:
Simple Living Works! eNews
#66, March, 2017
In This Issue:
- SLW! Podcast #88 — Nancy Pearlman, Exec. Dir. of Educational Communications
- Lent //
- Banishing “Fake News” //
- Simpler Living SANITY //
- I Buy Blue //
- Our Simpler Living Daily Nudge // Easy-to-share for MARCH
- What Others Are Doing – So Much Help!
What’s NOW with SLW!
- SLW! Podcast #88 — Nancy Pearlman, Exec. Dir. of Educational Communications, is an award-winning broadcaster, environmentalist, college instructor, anthropologist, editor, producer, on-air personality, and outdoorswoman who has made safeguarding the Earth’s ecosystems a career.
- Lent: SLW! Podcast Episodes #13 & 39; Resources: Who’s Risen from the Dead, Anyway?
- SLW! Podcast #87 — Cecile Andrews, author and community organizer, works with Millennials and Minimalists to build resistance to regressive government.
- Banishing Fake News: Tip #2. Though more people receive their ‘news’ from Facebook than from traditional outlets, it is not a news source. It is social media. It can be fun. It can promote events. It is NOT a news source, except possibly a platform that makes distinguishing ‘fake news’ from ‘real news’ virtually impossible. READ MORE
- We’ve cancelled our vacation to Alaska and plan to see the fall colors in Vermont instead. More information about “I Buy Blue. Won’t You Too?“
- Simpler Living SANITY: Suggestions in Weekly Nudge. READ MORE
- Our Daily Simpler Living Nudge
- What Is The NUDGE? / How It Works / How to GET It – Subscribe by sending NUDGE to SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com. / How to SHARE It / More About Holidays
- January: Life Principles of Voluntary Simplicity
- February: Week 4: What Is ‘Enough’?
- March: Global Justice—Weeks 1 & 2: Hunger & Homelessness || Week 3: Peace/Violence || Week 4: Advocacy/Boycotts
- SLW! Blog Index | SLW! Podcast Index
- SUBSCRIBE to SLW! Podcast for free through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. Subscribe to SLW! Blog. Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – FEB. // MARCH, including Women’s History Month
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
- SLW! Podcast guests: Hazel Henderson, founder, Ethical Markets Media, and Series Creator and Co-Executive Producer of its TV series
- Northwest Earth Institute‘s newest A Different Way: Living Simply in a Complex World
What Others Are Doing – So Much Help! – Latest Posts
I gladly pass along links from simple living bloggers, podcasters, coaches and others. Some faith-based, some not. You needn’t read them all. Choose FIVE links — including SLW! — to investigate. COMPLETE LIST — Monthly Digest
- Becoming Minimalist (Joshua Becker)
- Center for a New American Dream
- Supporting Refugees: When a group of former strangers decided to band together to sponsor a Syrian refugee family in Canada, they used SoKind Registry as a platform to request all the items needed to outfit a new home. Learn how they did it.
- Zero Waste Living: A zero waste lifestyle might seem hard to implement and complicated to follow. But by taking small steps, you can make it a reality.
- The Gift That Keeps on Giving: We often hear about gifts that “keep on giving,” but in the case of a microloan, it really can. A Colorado mom shares her experience.
- The Common Good Podcast
- Episode 81: Learning Resistance and Alternatives from Zapatistas and Jubilee’s Mexico Partners (3/1)
- Ep. 80: Walter Brueggemann on the Primal Power of Money & Possessions in Our Lives (2/1)
- Earth Island Journal (Earth Island Institute): Latest News // Current Issue
- Earth Mama (Joyce Rouse) New Song Made for These Times for “Ladies Sewing and Resistance Society” counters the anti-woman, bullying, hate filled policies of the new administration. Lead sheet with melody line, full lyrics, video (1 minute) of singing and sewing, video (6 minute) including wonderful short interviews — all at Monthly Digest (above).
- Eco-Justice Ministries (Peter Sawtell) // Voluntary Simplicity archive // SLW! Podcast #18 // SLW! Podcast #66
- Jubilee Economics / Casa Jubileo (new site)
- Central Coast Calif. Marches: 1st hand accounts + pics
- Richard Rohr Brings Us Closer to Nature and to Our “True Selves” by Joining Contemplation with Action (2/13)
- Living Lightly (Susan Vogt on living more simply but abundantly): 365+ Days of Give-Aways
- Pre-cycling & Packaging – How deceptive advertising and over-packaging can play mind games on us. What parts can you break free of?
- Phone-fast – How long could you go without a cell phone? Do you want to? What to do with the old one?
- Top 10 Simplicity Tips of 2016 – Although I’d like to think you read each bi-weekly blog I post, for the time-crunched among you, here are what I I consider my top 10 from last year.
- Online Shopping & Boxes – In the aftermath of Christmas I consider the pros and cons of online shopping and the plethora of boxes it creates.
- Beyond Virtue – Timeliness – As virtuous as it may be to find the perfect place to donate older, but still serviceable clothes, sometimes the perfect can be the enemy of the good. How much is it worth your time?
- Doing Good Can Be Hard – Related to the the above post (where I took the easy way out) here is the opposite position (where I made the effort to save a 50+ year old appliance. What would you do?
- The Minimalists podcast (Joshua Fields Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus). Getting us past the things so we can make room for life’s most important things — which actually aren’t things at all.
- The OneEarth Project (Lee Van Ham) // SLW! Podcast
- PostConsumers: Find the Satisfaction of Enough / Full Article Library
- Simple Living: the Good Life (Janet Luhrs)–Time, Finances, Home-Work, Health
- Simple Times (Debi Taylor-Hough): Saving Your Time, Money & Sanity
- Smart and Simple Matters podcast (Joel Zaslofsky of Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time, Money and Talent) // SLW! Podcast
- The Not So Big Way to Have Useful Beauty Every Day (Sarah Susanka)
- For links to earlier entries, check the SLW! Monthly Digest.
- Upcoming Non-Conform-Freely Celebrations: Jan.-April
- Review of Lee Van Ham’s new “From Egos to Eden: Our Heroic Journey to Keep Earth Livable,” vol. 2 of the “Eden for the 21st Century” Trilogy. Colleague Lee’s new book is now available on Amazon in print and ebook and other locations where you can get the ebook (Nook, iBooks, Kobo). He says, “Hope the book stirs you to write a review, to converse with others, and to help me tell better than I currently do a story for OneEarth living. Wanting to show Earth more love!”
- Post-Election Emergency/Disaster Preparedness and Survival Guide
- SLW! Podcast #86 — John de Graaf, producer of the famous “Affluenza” films and author of several books, including links to his recent articles.
- SLW! Podcast #84-85 —Renowned Biblical scholar Walter Brueggemann on Money & Possessions // His book’s Preface, Foreword, Introduction (free online) — essential reading!
- New Simpler Formats for 2017 — The monthly SLW! eNews and Weekly Digest will feature only the latest posts from colleague organizations. The complete Monthly Digest only on the SLW! site will be updated at least once a week. The Weekly Nudge will feature only offering from SLW! Both the Weekly Digest and Weekly Nudge come as part of your free subscription to SLW! Blog. The Daily Nudge comes by email (send NUDGE to SimpleLivingworks@yahoo.com) or by Twitter @GeraldIversen. Choose the options that work for you.
- Worth Revisiting: Waging Peace at Tax Time // Taxing Negatives
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // Collaborators & Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3). Complete Episode Index. Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review.
Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same. Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com, leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
- Image: http://www.ecoprojects.org/nancypearlman.htm
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011.