SLW! Three-Fold Sharing Plan: A-C-E, 2014
Posted October 29, 2014on:
1. The WHOSE Birthday? four-part podcast series includes reflections and activities by Daniel Berrigan, William Sloane Coffin, Meg Cox, Betsy Taylor and many more. Episodes 32-35 will be released in iTunes and Stitcher Nov. 1 & 15; Dec. 1 & 15. Or listen to them at your leisure on the SLW! site.
3. Once or twice a week we’ll highlight a series of reflections from a past edition in this blog, as we did in 2013. The first set appears below. (To find the 2013 offerings, skim through Nov. and Dec. in the Archives in the right column of this blog.)
Enjoy them now. Share them later with your family or congregation through your website, newsletter, study group. . . .
* * *
Make Ready the Way of the Lord…
by Tom Hall
Plus Services and Activities by Julie Peeples and Paul Davis
Tom Hall, former Director of Affiliate Education at Habitat for Humanity, is now deceased. Julie Peeples and Paul Davis have served as chaplains at Habitat for Humanity. All three are ordained ministers.
- First Sunday of Advent (Participating in the Kingdom to Come)
- Second Sunday of Advent (Preparing Our Hearts for the King)
- Third Sunday of Advent (Practicing Unselfish Abandon)
- Fourth Sunday of Advent (Promises of a New Social Order)
- Christmas Eve/Day (The Inn and the Hillside)
- Christmas I (Preparing for Ministry)
- Epiphany (Recognizing God’s Presence in All)
* * *
Subscribe to SLW! Blog
Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
* * *
What’s NOW with SLW!
- Alternate End Times Before the new church year starts with Advent on Sunday, Nov. 30, we struggle with the End Times in the final Sundays of Ordinary Time, i.e., the Sundays after Pentecost. I offer a variety of resources that present a different view of the end of civilization as we know it. You may or may not find these helpful. As a devout progressive Christian, I have. Read my blog Vision of the Future.The resources below offer a variety of ways to deal with Creation Crisis spiritually and psychologically, since so many of our wealth-and-power-obsessed corporate and government “leaders” refuse to deal with it actually. And gullible Americans persist in electing them and buying their products. |My recent blog Murder and Resurrection | Carolyn Baker – 02/09/14 – Spirituality: Carolyn Baker is the author of Collapsing Consciously: Transformative Truths For Turbulent Times, Navigating The Coming Chaos and others. | http://prn.fm/?powerpress_embed=18865-podcast&powerpress_player=default
- Extending the Table World Community Cookbook Updated
- What Might a Prophet Look Like? Prophetic ministry shows people the logical consequences of their life choices. It is quite different from pastoral ministry, which focuses on worship, education and outreach. Pastoral ministry tends to avoid controversy. Prophetic ministry embraces controversy. Pastoral tends to be general; prophetic, specific. Prophetic ministry is also called in some denominations “lifetyle” ministry because it shows the faithful how their lifestyles affect people around the world. Extravagant American lifestyles – by global standards – have a negative effect of people in the developing world. This is particularly relevant to my current conversation with BOB SITZE on the latest SLW! Podcast #31. Prophets speak up. Bob has a reputation for that. | RELATED: What Might a Christian Life Look Like?
Fall Festival Resources
- Fall Plans blog
- How to Host an Alternative Gift Fair | Planning an Alternative Christmas Workshop | How to Organize an Alternative Christmas Community Festival
- UNPLUG the Christmas Machine Workshop Leader’s Guide | UNPLUG blog
- Resource Index: Advent/Christmas
- An Abstract Expressionist Halloween blog
- Thanksgiving blog: How We Celebrate Says a Lot About How We Live
- Anyone can use our online Leaders’ Guide and Participants’ Manual to UNPLUG the Christmas Machine Workshop at no charge. No one is allowed to sell copies of these.
- Submit now to “WHOSE Birthday?” 2014. Contribute to our most widely-read resource, “Whose Birthday Is It, Anyway?” for Advent/Christmas, now published online. All 25+ editions are available on the SLW! site. Article Index.
- ART (line drawing, photo) that depicts the tension between faith and culture, especially at Christmas.
- PERSONAL EXPERIENCES (especially intergenerational ones) related to simplifying Christmas or finding meaning and happiness in relationships instead of stuff.
- FAMILY ACTIVITIES, rituals or worshipful ceremonies for Advent, Christmas or Epiphany.
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – November
- Check out a few of these thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE.
- Treasury of Celebrations*: Create Celebrations That Reflect Your Values and Don’t Cost the Earth Earth – Sept.-Dec.
- Worship Alternatives: Pentecost/Ordinary Time
- Spirit of Simplicity: ART | QUOTES
- 10 Tips for Simpler, More Meaningful Celebrations | Spanish: 10 puntas
- Alternatives’ Seasonal/Thematic Index
- SLW! eNews #38: Whose Birthday Is It Anyway? 2014 online
- Nov.-Dec. – new “WHOSE Birthday?” SLW! Podcast series. Podcast Index, including “WHOSE Birthday?” 2013.
- Is Simple Living Libertarian?
SLW! promotes is COMMUNITARIANISM, that is, the community needs are more important than the individual “rights.” No, it is not Communism. We really have only one planet though we live as if we have several. Jubilee Economics believes in OneEarth Economics for the Common Good.
- SLW! Podcast #30 – Paul Canavese, head of GospelLiving.org. It’s so encouraging when someone uses or re-issues some of Alternatives’ resources. Paul Canavese of The Pastoral Center has incorporated some of Alternatives’ Advent/Christmas resources in its new Simply Advent eResource series. (Or see all of their Advent eResources.)
- Feeling Bullied by Consumo? Ask Slim. I’ll give my reply to questions that are broadly about simpler living and invite you to add yours.
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media with links
- Tony and Shane Uncut Finale — Tony Campolo & Shane Claiborne’s complete dialog on simpler living and global justice, in eight parts. To LISTEN visit the Episode Index. Endorsements
What Others Are Doing
- The Common Good Podcast episode #52 – Falling in Love with Nature
- Seeing Systems: Peace, Justice and Sustainability – New Course from Northwest Earth Institute
- Conversation about The OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham. | TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 | Lee’s new Slide Show
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3).
Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback AT SimpleLivingWorks DOT org [or SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com or SimpleLivingWorks2@gmail.com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
*GRAPHIC – “Whose Birthday?” #4
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * firstname.lastname@example.org
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.