Why New Celebrations?
Posted April 6, 2015on:
SLW! Podcast April Episodes
Clyde Griffith of NewCelebrations.com
NewCelebrations.com: Resources that reflect a more healthy, a more sane, a more theologically correct approach to more meaningful celebration of Christmas and other holidays.
* * *
Off to Greece
Rita and I are walking in the steps of St. Paul in Greece soon. SLW! blog will be on vacation mid-April till early May.
* * *
Subscribe to SLW! Blog
Click “+Follow” at lower right of blog post, enter a name and email address. Welcome!
* * *
What’s NOW with SLW!
- April Is Financial Literacy Month Financial Literacy and Media Literacy are two of the pillars of SLW! In additional to Jeff Yeager’s podcast comments, here are more helps: Financial Literacy Month official site | “SLW! Recommends” Literacy Project on Financial Literacy/Consumerism || Financial Literacy Month? Don’t Be Fooled: A solution to this ongoing crisis is emerging courtesy of the FoolProof Foundation’s Walter Cronkite Project. The project is offering a financial literacy curriculum that works. It is free, no strings attached — right now, to all teachers and educators. The curriculum is extensive — it offers up to 22 hours of financial literacy training, all turn-key for the teacher/mentor. || Making a Difference: Being Wise with Money using the Save-Spend-Share formula. Thrivent Financial is the nation’s largest fraternal organization. A merger of Lutheran Brotherhood and Aid Association for Lutherans, Thrivent now serves all Christians and distributes part of its profits through its members to any qualified 501-c-3, non-profit organization. (Disclaimer: Rita and I have all our retirement funds in Thrivent. Thrivent does not distribute funds to organizations that it considers “divisive.”)
- Who’s Risen from the Dead, Anyway? is an expanding, free collection of alternative resources for Lent/Holy/Week/Easter. || Contribute! Submission Guidelines
- Simpler Living Alternative Daily Calendar – April
- Check out a few of SLW! thought-provoking, timely resources that might meet your personal, family or congregational/group needs. They’re all FREE. Visit Seasonal/Thematic Resource Index
- SLW! Podcast–April 15: Jeff Yeager, More than the Ultimate Cheapskate — Preview complete episode 43 now
- EARTH Day | 7 Earth Care Helps
- Waging Peace at Tax Time
- Simple Living Works! Podcast
- SLW! Podcast Episode 41 – Sarah van Gelder, co-founder and editor-in-chief of YES! Magazine, and author of Sustainable Happiness: Live Simply, Live Well, Make a Difference. YES! reframes the biggest problems of our time in terms of their solutions. Online and in print, YES! outlines a path forward with in-depth analysis, tools for citizen engagement, and stories about real people working for a better world.
- Episode 40 – Joel Zaslofsky, the Chief Simplifier, Curator, and Founder at Value of Simple: Liberate Your Time Money and Talent. He also hosts the popular Smart and Simple Matters show. His recent book is Experience Curating: How to Gain Focus, Increase Influence and Simply Your Life. He organizes the annual SimpleREV Movement & Conference — Revive and Rev It Up! + All Things SimpleREV Podcast.
- Previews of Simple Living Blogs, Podcasts and Sites // New Collaborators and Champions
- Recent Responses to all SLW! media, including links
What Others Are Doing
- The 50 Day Challenge began Easter Sunday, April 5th. Simplify. Give. Change. The Overflow Project encourages simple living and generous giving in order to change lives. This year, your participation in the 50-Day Challenge will make a difference in your daily life and also change lives in eleven villages of the Laputta area of the Ayeyarwaddy Region in Myanmar. Join the 50-Day challenge today! 100% of funds donated from the 50-Day Challenge will go to partner with World Concern in supporting clean water, sanitation and health needs, and cyclone shelters in this region.
- New Easter Resource for parents from colleague Paul Canavese at The Pastoral Center (incorporating some content from Alternatives)
- The Common Good Podcast
Episode 58 :: Veronica Lozada: Lawyer Defending Common Person vs. Powers in Mexico
- Three minute film: Ecology and Economics—Colleagues, Not Rivals || Conversation about The OneEarth Project and the book, Blinded by Progress: Breaking Out of the Illusion That Holds Us, by Lee Van Ham. | TheCommonGoodPodcast.com, episode 42 | Lee’s new Slide Show
- Colleague Kevin Tupper’s new Christian Simplicity site is starting a new discussion using Mark Scandrette’s book, “FREE: Spending Your Time and Money on What Matters Most.” He welcomes anyone to join in.
You can access all SLW! podcast audio and the show notes either at SimpleLiving.startlogic.com/SLW-PODCAST or at SimpleLivingWorks.org (then click window #3).
Complete Episode Index
Listen through your computer, iPod, iPad, iPhone (or equivalent).
SUBSCRIBE through iTunes, Stitcher.com or your favorite podcast service. To SUBSCRIBE to email notices, click Comments at the bottom of Show Notes, then check ‘Notify me of new posts by email.’ Please rate us in iTunes and leave a review. Send us your email address to receive the free monthly SLW! eNews. Remember to like us on Facebook. Urge your friends to do the same.
Do your friends a favor. Share our blog and podcast.
Like SLW! on Facebook. | Follow us on Twitter. | Follow us on Pinterest. Share your thoughts on our podcast and blogs. Email Feedback@SimpleLivingWorks.org [or SimpleLivingWorks@yahoo.com or SimpleLivingWorks2@gmail.com], leave a message on our Facebook page or on the SLW! blog.
Peace, Gerald “Jerry” Iversen, Chief SLW! Activist
IMAGES: Clyde Griffith and Joel Yeager
For hard copies of Alternatives’ resources at nominal cost, contact ELCA Archives, 321 Bonnie Lane, Elk Grove Village, IL 60007 * (847) 690-9410 * email@example.com
We do not solicit or accept donations, nor do we sell anything. All our resources and services are free of charge. We’re an all-volunteer organization. Instead, we urge Alternative Giving. Give away at least 25% of what you spent last year on all celebrations – Christmas, birthdays, etc. — to local, national and international causes.
Copyright: Creative Commons non-commercial attribution share-alike license.
*Treasury of Celebrations: published by Northstone, a division of Wood Lake Publications, BC, Canada, best known for its Seasons of the Spirit curriculum.
Through social media, we extend the mission and resources of the non-profit organization Alternatives, 1973-2011. Simple Living Works! web site home page | Theme/Seasons Index. To learn more about SLW! – our MISSION, for example — please listen to our getting-acquainted episodes, especially #1 and 2. We produce a half-hour podcast twice a month, hopefully educational and inspiring for you, your family and your congregation or group. We blog several times a week.